List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1260342

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, NORTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North LincolnshireUnitary AuthorityRoxby cum Risby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 440985

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 91 NW ROXBY CUM RISBY NORTH STREET (north side) 5/9 Church of Saint Mary 6.11.67 GV I

Church. 12 tower with C14 west window, C14 nave arcades, aisles and chancel. Tower repaired and top stage rebuilt 1704-7. Restorations of 1875, by James Fowler of Louth, included rebuilding north arcade, north aisle and tower arch, new porch, organ chamber, floors, roofs and font. Coursed limestone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roof. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch and 2-bay chancel with organ chamber/vestry adjoining north side. 2-stage tower: chamfered plinth, quoins. Tall first stage has square headed 2-light trefoiled west window with stone above inscribed ROBERT RAMSEY, CHURCH WARDEN 1704. South side has keyhole window below plain string course. Top stage has square-headed twin round-arched belfry openings with ovolo mullions in chamfered reveals beneath a low embattled ashlar parapet dated 1707 on south west corner. North aisle and organ chamber have chamfered plinth and gabled buttresses with finials. South aisle and chancel have moulded plinth and buttresses with trefoiled gables, those to chancel with pinnacled gablets to the set- offs. Aisles have square-headed windows of 2 trefoiled lights (one in south aisle with sub-cusping and 2 in north aisle C19 replacements) and pointed 3- light east windows with Curvilinear tracery, hoodmoulds and headstops; north aisle east window now open to organ chamber. Chancel has 2-light north and south windows similar to aisles, and a pointed 3-light east window with Curvilinear tracery. Pointed chamfered priest's doorway on south side has ogee-headed hoodmould with foliate finial and plank door with ornate iron strap-hinges. Porch has chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, a pointed moulded outer door and circular trefoiled side windows. Moulded pointed inner door under ogee hoodmould with carved finial and head stops. Interior. Tall pointed tower arch on shafted responds. Arcades have double-chamfered pointed arches supported on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases, those on north C19 replacements. South arcade capitals have plain corbels projecting on south side. South aisle has a trefoiled piscina and a C14 tall double-chamfered pointed-trefoiled tomb recess containing a mutilated priest's effigy. Above is an empty niche with a moulded corbelled base and a cusped and pinnacled ogee-arched head beneath a pyramidal crocketed and pinnacled canopy flanked by buttress shafts. Pointed moulded chancel arch of 2 orders on narrow octagonal responds with plain moulded capitals and bases. Chancel has triangular-headed aumbry on north side, and on south side a trefoiled piscina and ornate C13-14 double sedilia with octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases supporting sub-cusped, crocketed and finialed ogee arches flanked by octagonal shafts with finials. C19 pointed arches to organ chamber. Polychrome encaustic tiles in chancel. Two late C18-early C19 marble wall tablets in tower. N. Pevsner and J. Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 345; Drawing by C. Nattes, 1794, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: SE9206817017

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 345

National Grid Reference: SE 92065 17019

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 12:26:46.