List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF RESURRECTION AND ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1260170

Location

CHURCH OF RESURRECTION AND ALL SAINTS, CALDY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 441485

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE CALDY ROAD (north side) Caldy

4/2 Church of Resurrection and - All Saints

G.V. II

Church. Built originally as school, 1868, by G.E. Street. Extensively altered and north aisle, chancel and north east tower added 1906-7 by Douglas and Minshull. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings, slate roof with tile crest. Nave with north aisle and baptistry, chancel with north vestry and saddle-back tower. Nave has gabled south porch and straight -headed window of 3 cusped lights. Buttress marks division between nave and choir, which has paired 2- light windows and end gabled buttress. West end of nave has paired 2-light traceried windows with straight heads. North aisle has 2 single-chamfered-mullioned windows of 4 lights, the west gable end with straight-headed 3-light window with trefoil heads to lights over canted baptistry with single lights. Chancel has south straight-headed window of 5 lights, east window of 3 stepped lights with splayed reveals and shafts. Panel over dated 1907. Tower projects to east, entrance has lintel dated 1882 from chapel at Manor House. East gabled stair turret. Gable ends have Y-tracery louvred bell openings, smaller lights to north and south. North west stack. Interior: Nave has arch-braced collar roof; north side has inscribed beam on chamfered stone piers. Sanctuary arch has continuous mouldings. Fittings of choir and sanctuary of 1882 by C.E. Kempe taken from Manor House chapel. Screen to west and north has posts supporting entablature, the 2 central posts with angels and rood above. Choir stalls and altar rail have panels of marquetry and turned balusters. Reredos similar with crucifixion. Tapering octagonal font with ribs and inscription; painted baptistry ceiling. Good stained glass, some by C.E. Kempe and one by A.J. Davis of the Bromsgrove Guild. Vestry has fireplace with coat of arms, dated 1868.

Listing NGR: SJ2262285248

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 22622 85248

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 12:17:12.