List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE

List entry Number: 1259862

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE, FRANKBY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 443635

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE FRANKBY ROAD (north side) Frankby

4/14 Church of St. John the - Divine

- II

Church. 1861-2. By W. and J. Hay. Stone with banded slate roof. 3-bay nave with north aisle and chancel with north vestry. Nave has 2-light windows with Geometrical tracery between buttresses. South gabled porch has entrance of one order and small stained glass lights. West end has angle buttresses and 2 traceried lights with quatrefoil above; traceried light to aisle and stack to junction of nave and aisle. Aisle has paired trefoil-headed lights. Lean-to vestry has trefoil-headed lights, entrance with shouldered lintel and 2-light east window. Nave east gable has bell- cote. Chancel has diagonal buttresses and 3-light east window; south traceried light, and high-placed small cusped light to sanctuary. Interior: Arcade on round columns, hood moulds with angel stops. Collar-truss roof with laminated arch braces on corbels. Round font has interlaced blind arcading. Dole cupboard mounted on wall, possibly C18, has turned balusters to doors. 4 brass chandeliers. Chancel arch has corbels with figures, to south side a sower. Pulpit has canted ends and cusped niche. Chancel has north organ loft with painted organ pipes and case. Panelled roof painted with IHS monogram and eagle of St. John; cornice has Tudor flower ornament. East wall has timber panelling. 2 cusped sedilia with central colonnette to south. Walls have panels with IHS monogram and 4 paintings in bolection moulded frames. Corona Lucis at west end of chancel. The church has an excellent series of stained glass windows. North aisle windows are Morris and Co. (Burne-Jones) 1873. Chancel south-east (1877) and vestry, north (1870) by C.E. Kempe. Chancel east (1859), south-west (1860s), nave south (1860s), nave west (1868) and aisle north (1870s) by Clayton and Bell.

Listing NGR: SJ2470487025

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 24704 87025

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Aug-2014 at 05:35:18.