List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ALBAN AND CHURCH HALL

List entry Number: 1259264

Location

CHURCH OF ST ALBAN AND CHURCH HALL, BURGESS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of SouthamptonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463067

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHAMPTON SU41 NW BURGESS ROAD, Swaythling (North side) 983-0/7/10015 Church of St Alban and Church Hall

II

Anglican church. 1933, by Welch, Cachemaille-Day and Lander. Rendered brick with Weldon stone dressings. Clay plain tile roofs with gabled ends. PLAN: Cruciform plan with altar under the crossing tower and Lady Chapel in the chancel, north and south transepts, 3-bay nave with wide aisles; the nave was intended to be longer and west end was completed later. Attached to the south transept is the coeval church hall. Gothic style. EXTERIOR: Chancel and north transept have 5-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arches, the nave west window has 2-centred arch and Geometric tracery and the aisles have 3-light straight-head Perpendicular windows. Large, but squat, crossing tower with diagonal buttresses, circular stair-turret on the SE corner, battlements and 3-light straight-head Perpendicular windows in the top stage. Later porch with flat roof on the west end. Attached to the south transept the church hall with large wooden mullion-transom windows with hipped roofs above the eaves, the south end with hipped roof with lower eaves and central gable set back with Tudor arch doorway; later additions to east side of church hall. INTERIOR: Spacious interior with plastered walls and stone arches. Wide nave and aisles with 3-bay double-chamfered 4-centred arch arcades and large moulded 2-centred crossing arches without capitals, the east and south arches dying into the round stair-turret. Roof ceiled by boarded panels has tie-beams and tall crown-posts. Furnishings complete: Altar under the crossing, simple wooden altar rail with solid low side screens to sanctuary, pulpit and seating and polygonal font with cover. Church hall roof is ceiled with plywood and has a stage at the north end. SOURCES: Buildings of England, page 574. The Architect and Building News, June 30th, 1933, pp 384-391.



Listing NGR: SU4518915058

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 43140 15688

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 08:57:30.