List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: VICARAGE AND VICARAGE LODGE TO CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1259231

Location

VICARAGE AND VICARAGE LODGE TO CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES, CLIFTON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
YorkUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463119

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5953SW CLIFTON 1112-1/5/202 (East side (off)) 24/06/83 Vicarage and Vicarage Lodge to Church of St Philip and St James

GV II

Vicarage and attached house. 1879-80. Designed by JL Pearson 1877-8 for the Rev. GH Straffen. MATERIALS:: orange brick in English bond on ground floor; first floor hung with plain and fishscale tiles. Plain tile roofs, half hipped and gabled with banks of tall ornately moulded brick stacks with brick corbel cornices; bargeboards to gables and gablets; gablets have tiny pointed openings with glass louvres. Cast-iron weather vane dated 1879 to porch gable; terracotta finial on conical roof to semicircular bow window. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 3-bay main range with 2-storey, one-and-a-half bay projecting wing to left: main range has 2-storey projecting porch with first floor deeply coved and jettied on shaped joists and brackets. Porch has nail studded board double doors on ground floor; on first floor 6-light window with 8-pane casements and timber mullions. Bay to left of porch has coved jetty and small-pane mullioned and transomed windows to left of smaller 2-light windows with pivoting top lights on both floors. On ground floor to right of porch is one window of two 8-pane lights. Moulded sillstring is stepped and broken by longer windows. Cogged brick course beneath first floor of right bay and deep coved eaves return over left part of garden front. Crosswing has nail studded door beneath flat porch in half bay. Left bay projects and has 5-light window with casements and top lights on both floors; first floor window projects as shallow square bay on shaped brackets. Brick corbel course beneath first floor returns on left side. Garden front: 2 storeys, 3 bays: to left is 2-storey shallow square bay; to right, full height semicircular bay with conical roof and finial. In centre bay, only 3-light first floor window is visible. Windows in square bay are of 5 lights: in semicircular bay, windows are banded beneath moulded timber cornices on both floors. All are mullioned and transomed with 1-pane casements and small-pane transom lights. INTERIOR: not inspected.

Listing NGR: SE5931353151

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 59313 53151

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 02:23:28.