List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET

List entry Number: 1258922

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET, SHERBORNE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthoritySouth Cadbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Mar-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 445879

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH CADBURY CP SHERBORNE ROAD (West side) ST62NW 4/141 Church of St Thomas a Becket (formerly listed as Church of St Thomas of Canterbury) 24.3.61

GV II* Anglican parish church. C13 and C15, restored in 1850's and 1870'5. Cary and lias stone, mostly ashlar, with some Doulting stone dressings; plain clay tile roof over stone slate base courses to chancel, Welsh slate over stone to nave, both between stepped coped gables. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave and south aisle, with north porch, south-east vestry and west tower. Chancel has double plinth mould, eaves course, no buttresses: east window of 3-lights, C19 in C15 style with headtop label; on north side two 2-cusped lights under square labels, probably C15; south-east corner vestry has no plinth but extended string/label course, and latching 2-light windows to those of chancel north side, one reduced in size, and probably reused from chancel south wall; in south-east corner a painted arched doorway in rectangular hollow-chamfered recess. South aisle has plinth, eaves course; two C15 3-light traceried windows of different patterns under arched square stop labels. Nave has a 2-light and a 3-light flat arched window set in hollow chamfered reveals, with projection for pulpit recess which is under a stone roof and has a small window. North porch has double plinth, north gable with cross finial, small east winnow; elliptical arched outer doorway in rectangular recess with foliated and Tudor-rose spandrils, with small ogee cusped light over: similar inner door with plain statue niche over. Tower possibly early C15, and still carried a spire in 1822: stages, with double plinth, string courses, the top with gargoyles, battleiented parapets with crocketted corner pinnacles, angled corner buttresses for full height: north-east square corner stair turret carried higher than remainder of tower, with slit windows each stage: small but wide west door with wave-moulded pointed arch label with headstops; above a 2-light C15 style traceried window, heavily restored, with very slight label mould; elsewhere stages 1 and 2 plains to each face stage S a 2-light traceried 2-light window in hollow chamfered reveal without label. Interior has work of many periods. Chancel has 1874 rib and panel barrel vault roof, and east window probably same date; panelled C15 chancel arch, squints formerly to both sides; furnishings C19, but including reredos sculpture of the crucifixion, by Earp of Lambeth installed in 1780. Nave has C15 timber rib and plaster panel vault ceiling with bosses and angels; arcade into south aisle, with 4-shaft columns, basically c1280, the end shafts having turned mouldings; tower arch to match; recess for C19 pulpit, font also C19. South aisle largely rebuilt 1853, but incorporates a C14 piscina, above which are the remains of a window jamb with fragment of medieval wall painting of a bishop, possibly Thomas a Becket. Glass in east window by Clayton and Bell 1874. No significant memorials. First recorded rector 1265. (Anon, South Cadbury, A Brief Guide with Historical Notes, Undated; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6314125497

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
Other
South Cadbury, A brief guide with historical notes,

National Grid Reference: ST 63141 25497

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 04:04:22.