List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MARGARET

List entry Number: 1258279

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MARGARET, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentSevenoaksDistrict AuthorityHalstead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357229

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HALSTEAD

771/14/492 CHURCH STREET 10-SEP-54 HALSTEAD (East side) CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

II 1880-1 by W M Teulon. J P St Aubyn and Wadling are said to have carried out an unspecified enlargement in 1897 (perhaps the vestry). N extension 1992.

MATERIALS: Knapped flint with red brick and limestone dressings. Clay tile roofs.

PLAN: Nave, lower chancel, N and S aisles, S porch, N organ/chamber vestry, three-bay N room to N of N aisle.

EXTERIOR: The principal façade of the church is that on the S which is dominated by a large catslide roof covering both nave and S aisle. The aisle wall is low and has three small single-light windows and also a two-light window under its own gable towards the E end. The chancel has similar two-light windows to its S wall and a three-light Geometrical window in the E wall. Straddling the W gable of the nave is large one-light bellcote. The S porch is of timber on a flint-faced plinth. There is no clerestory. The N extension which provides a meeting room etc is under three transverse gables and harmonises well with the Victorian building except for the stylistically incongruous mullion-and-transom treatment of the windows.

INTERIOR: The walls are plastered and whitened. Either side of the nave is a three-bay arcade with round stone piers, moulded capitals and bases, and deeply moulded brick arches. The treatment of the chancel arch is similar. Over the nave there is a rather spindly roof with arch-braces to the main trusses. The chancel roof is treated slightly differently, being six-sided and having cusping to its single main truss.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: There is extensive late C19 work. The dominant feature is the pewing whose shaped ends are an unusual variant on the common inverted Y type that was often used as an economical form of seating in Victorian churches. At the E end there is a five-bay reredos with arched panels. Either side there is a dado with blind tracery panels. The C19 organ case houses decorated pipes and has a canted front: it has been suggested (Newman) that it is probably to Teulon¿s design. The font is to a conventional design, octagonal with quatrefoils on the panels of the bowl: it was made in 1849 and came from the old church. There are patterned encaustic tiles in the chancel. There are a number of stained glass windows with work by Kempe, 1899 (chancel S), Morris and Co., 1909 (N aisle), and Powell's, 1867 (E window, designed by Enrico Casolani, and moved from the old church). There are brasses to William Burys (d. 1444) and to William Petley (d. 1528) and his wife. The white marble monument to James Ashe (d. 1733) is signed by Jonathan Barker and is this sculptor's only known work. In the extension there is a large panel of 1999-2000 made up of tiled scenes of the locality and the names of residents and local community groups.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Timber memorial lychgate on a red-brick plinth, 2004: a modern work in an old tradition.

HISTORY: Halstead church was rebuilt on a new site and was consecrated on 3 March 1881. The chancel is said to be on the site of a former burial chapel ground built in 1854 by J P Atkins of Halstead Place.The main benefactor of the new church was T F Burnaby-Atkins of Halstead Place. The architect, William Milford Teulon (1823-1900), was the younger brother of the more prolific and famous Samuel Sanders Teulon (1812-73). He was elected as a fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1860.

SOURCES: Roger Homan, The Victorian Churches of Kent, 1984, p. 63. John Newman, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, 1980, p. 314. REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church St Margaret, Halstead, of is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is an attractive country church built in the late C19 in the Gothic Revival style. * It retains an extensive collection of fittings from the late C19.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 48369 61716

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 01:01:25.