List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1258217

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, LISCARD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 444454

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 39 SW WALLASEY LISCARD ROAD (south side) Wallasey

3/49 Church of - St. John

- II

Church. 1832-3. By H. Edwards, interior remodelled 1892. Stucco with stone dressings and stone facade. Facade has Doric entablature and panelled parapet; angle pilasters and tetrastyle Doric portico. Windows have architraves, the jambs sloping inwards, friezes and consoled pediments; small-paned glazing. Entrance has architrave, frieze and consoled pediment; overlight and paired 2-panel doors. Returns of 7 bays, windows as above but no consoles, projecting stone western bays (ritual west is actual north) have paired flat pilasters flanking entrances. Rear has projecting pedimented chancel and low projecting bays to either side. Chancel has blind tripartite window with pilasters and entablature with wreaths. Interior: Plain; elliptical chancel arch. Late C19 partitions form organ chamber and lady chapel flanking choir in front of arch. Sanctuary has tripartite reredos, as exterior, with painting, and stencilling above. Nave has paintings of apostles applied to walls. Elliptical alabaster font on 3 marble steps has angel supporters, cherubs' heads and gadroon edge. C20 wood font cover made in Africa, with Lady chapel reredos panel. Square timber pulpit originally part of 2-decker pulpit. Vestry has original cupboards with angle pilasters and entablatures.

Listing NGR: SJ3140391537

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 31403 91537

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 11:24:08.