List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ROUNDHOUSE

List entry Number: 1258103

Location

THE ROUNDHOUSE, CHALK FARM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476873

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2884SW CHALK FARM ROAD 798-1/64/194 (South West side) 10/06/54 The Roundhouse (Formerly Listed as: CHALK FARM ROAD The Round House Theatre)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Warehouse of W & A Gilbey Ltd CHALK FARM ROAD. Goods locomotive shed, now theatre. 1846-7. By Robert B Dockray. For the London and North Western Railway. Built by Branson & Gwyther. Converted for use as a theatre 1967 and 1985. Yellow stock brick. Low pitched conical slate roof having a central smoke louvre, now glazed, and bracketed eaves. Circular plan 48m in diameter. Buttresses with offsets mark bays each having a shallow, recessed rectangular panel. Former entrances and windows with round-arched heads. INTERIOR: roof carried on 24 cast-iron Doric columns (defining original locomotive spurs) and a framework of curved ribs. Believed to retain original flooring, turn table and fragments of early railway lines. Wooden gallery probably added by Gilbeys, late C19. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building did not last long as an engine shed; by the 1860s the engines had become too long to be turned and stored there so it was leased to W & A Gilbey Ltd as a liquor store until converted to a theatre in the 1960s. (Survey of London: Vol. XXI, Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood, St Pancras III: London: -1949: 114).





Listing NGR: TQ2829784302

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood St Pancras Part 3: Volume 21, (1949), 114

National Grid Reference: TQ 28297 84302

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2014 at 02:26:11.