List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SWANMORE PARK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1258016

Location

SWANMORE PARK HOUSE, PARK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireWinchesterDistrict AuthoritySwanmore

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Feb-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463199

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 51 NE SWANMORE PARK LANE Upper Swanmore 1879- /4/10006 Swanmore Park House

II

Country house, converted into flats. 1878-82, by Alfred Waterhouse for Charles Myers; converted into flats in mid C20. Red brick with coloured concrete dressings. clay shaped tile roof with gabled ends and pierced ridge-tiles. Brick axial stacks with brick shafts and corbelled brick tops. PLAN: Built around a small central well with the principal rooms on the west, south and east fronts, service rooms to the north, truncated; later in the C19 a billiard room wing was added to the south west by Waterhouse and in about the mid C20 the whole house was converted into six flats. High Victorian Gothic style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical gabled elevations with decorative brickwork comprising blind arcading in the gables, brick corbelling, a deep frieze of raised brick diaperwork between ground and first floor windows and mullion-transom windows with cambered heads to the lights. The west front of six bays with gabled wing on left with canted and crenellated 2-storey bay window and with large gable and porch in the left angle; smaller gables to the range on the left. The east elevation has projecting gabled bay to right of centre with integral lean-to porch and buttress on left with round arch doorway (now window) and above an armorial panel; lower projecting gable to left. South garden front has slightly advanced gabled bay on right and canted bay to left of centre with steeply pitched hipped roof with ornate wrought-iron weathervane; single storey billiard room wing on left with gable on its east front and large lantern on the roof. The rear (north) has projecting gable on right and truncated wing on right. The small inner courtyard is partly covered by a canopy in the form of a 2-bay timber wagon roof. INTERIOR: Converted into flats when a hall and staircase were destroyed, but other rooms have survived, including the dining room with a ribbed moulded plaster ceiling and the drawing room in a Neo-classical style; several original chimneypieces remain and in the entrance porch there is some stained glass. SOURCE: Cunningham, P., Alfred Waterhouse: A Biography of a Practice, page 253.



Listing NGR: SU5823617377

Selected Sources

Other
Cunningham, C, Alfred Waterhouse 1830-1905 A Biography of a Practice, (1992)

National Grid Reference: SU 58348 17802

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 10:17:39.