List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CROSBY HALL

List entry Number: 1257734

Location

CROSBY HALL, BACK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SeftonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463502

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROSBY

SD3201 BACK LANE, Little Crosby 778-1/5/150 Crosby Hall 04/07/52

GV II*

Manor house. c1784-6 rebuilding of earlier house (with re-located datestones of 1576 and 1609, and some fabric of the earlier building surviving internally); subsequently enlarged but reduced again in 1950s. Sandstone ashlar, 3-span hipped roofs of green slate. PLAN: approximately square in plan, with small full-height corner turrets to the front and a canted bay to the rear. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 2:1:2 windows, almost symmetrical, with a modillioned cornice carried round and a small pediment over the centre flanked by the hipped ends of the side-span roofs. The centre has a doorway with double part-glazed doors and moulded architrave with floating cornice, a C19 Venetian window at 1st floor with a mask in the tympanum and a triple keystone, a Diocletian window at 2nd floor also with a triple keystone, and a carved shield of arms in the pediment. The flanking bays have pairs of windows on each floor, those at ground floor offset slightly to the right and those at 2nd floor square, all these windows sashed with glazing bars. Both corner turrets have plinths; the left turret, which is blind, has 2 ex situ pieces of carved datestone at 2nd floor level of the front, the upper lettered "R[]BAB" (with a small shield between the first 2 letters) and the lower "WB 1576", and at the same level of its left return side an ex situ datestone with a shield in the centre, raised letters "WB" and "EB" on the left and right arms respectively, "NB" on the shaft, "1609" on the base, and an anvil supported by a bearer at the top. (Another ex situ datestone built into the wall of a small rear yard also has the initials WB and the date 1609.) The right-hand turret has only one very small inserted window at 1st floor of the re-entrant side and another at 2nd floor of the front. Both return sides remodelled after removal of later additions: that to the left has a C20 brick outshut, and that to the right (the garden front) now has an ex situ tetrastyle Ionic portico (removed c1955 from Claughton Hall, Garstang, Lancashire) and various tall sashed windows. At the rear the centre has a doorway offset left at ground floor, Venetian and Diocletian windows at 1st and 2nd floors respectively, and a pediment; to the left is a full-height 2-storey canted bay which has tall segmental-headed windows at ground floor (the

library) and short 9-pane sashes above; and to the right the 3-storey 3rd bay has sashed windows on all floors, those at 1st floor much taller than the others. INTERIOR: entrance hall with flanking mahogany doors and elliptical arch to stair-hall; morning room to right with low ceiling and 2 boxed beams; very tall early C19 library to rear of this, with built-in mahogany bookcases and Classical frieze; open-well staircase with walnut dado, balustrades and wreathed handrail. Earlier fabric visible includes stone mullioned window in pantry at north-east corner, muntin-and-rail panelled dado to centre and south rooms at 1st floor, full-height panelling of similar character in north room at 2nd floor, and at least one C17 roof truss (with carpenter's mark "II"). HISTORICAL NOTE: manorial home of the Blundell family, lords of the manor of Little Crosby since medieval times.

Listing NGR: SD3225701484

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 32257 01484

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 08:03:04.