List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MERCHANT TAYLORS SCHOOL (GIRLS) THAT PORTION WHICH WAS THE ORIGINAL FOUNDATION

List entry Number: 1257528

Location

MERCHANT TAYLORS SCHOOL (GIRLS) THAT PORTION WHICH WAS THE ORIGINAL FOUNDATION, LIVERPOOL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SeftonMetropolitan AuthorityNon Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463766

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROSBY

SJ39NW LIVERPOOL ROAD 778-1/3/61 (West side) 04/07/52 Merchant Taylors School (Girls), that portion which was the original foundation

II*

Original Merchant Taylors' Free Grammar School, now part of Merchant Taylors' Girls' School. Founded 1620, by John Harrison (citizen and merchant of London); altered, and now attached to modern buildings at rear. Large coursed squared sandstone blocks with some freestone dressings, stone slate roof. Cruciform plan formed by main range with projected 2-storey porch to front and projected stair-turret to rear. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3:1:3 windows, symmetrical; with a moulded plinth, string course over ground floor with a frieze of paterae, moulded eaves cornice, and coped gables with kneelers and apex finials. The porch has a round-headed doorway with moulded imposts and C20 panelled divided doors, at 1st floor a tall square-headed blocked opening (like a doorway), now rendered and containing a C20 sundial, and in each side a 2-light mullioned window at ground floor and a 6-light transomed window above. To each side there is a coupled pair of cross-windows at ground floor, a similar but shorter pair of cross-windows at 1st floor directly above these and a 6-light window between these and the porch. All these windows have chamfered mullions and transoms and double-chamfered surrounds. Much of the masonry at ground floor is covered by old incised graffiti (some C18 but mostly C19). Both gable walls have coupled cross-windows on both floors (the upper in the left gable now with wooden mullions and transoms). The rear has a stair-turret with a 6-light window on each floor, and a large extruded chimney stack to each bay (that to the 2nd bay now covered by early C20 extension). INTERIOR: not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ3208599716

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ3208599716

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 06:51:01.