List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CROSBY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List entry Number: 1257394

Location

CROSBY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, MERSEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SeftonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Dec-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463931

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROSBY

SJ39NW MERSEY ROAD 778-1/3/103 (North side) 26/03/73 Crosby United Reformed Church (Formerly Listed as: MERSEY ROAD Congregational Church)

GV II

Congregational church, now United Reformed church. 1897-8 (dated 1897 at east end); by Douglas and Fordham. Snecked red sandstone, graduated green slate roofs. STYLE: Gothic. PLAN: nave with fleche, low north and south aisles, south-east porch, large north and south transepts, west chancel, south-west choir vestry (with organ-house above). EXTERIOR: the 4-bay nave has angle-buttresses terminating in octagonal turrets, large side buttresses pierced by the aisles, 2-centred arched 3-light clerestory windows with stepped arched lights, a large 2-centred arched 3-light east window with traceried lights, and a slated fleche with open arcading at the foot; the aisles have a pair of small 2-centred arched windows in each bay. The east bay on the south side has a large gabled porch with coupled arched doorways set in a 2-centred arch with 4 orders of moulding. The transepts have large 2-centred arched 4-light windows with moulded surrounds and geometrical tracery. The 2-storey choir vestry has a polygonal turret attached to its south side. The chancel has a 5-light window with geometrical plate tracery, flanked by cusped blind windows. Large congregational hall (probably formerly school) linked to north side of church by single-storey range along east end: in similar style, and with 2 fleche ventilators on the roof. INTERIOR: double-chamfered 2-centred arched aisle arcades on short piers, forming 3 wide bays and 2 narrow bays at the east end; large transept arches in the same style; larger chancel arch with 2 orders of moulding; impressive timber roof of unusual construction, with hammerbeams supported by raked straight braces, arch-braced collar trusses carrying 2 sets of wind-braced purlins, and a flat boarded ceiling over the upper set.



Listing NGR: SJ3146399478

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 31463 99478

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 09:07:54.