List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LEEDS GENERAL INFIRMARY

List entry Number: 1256242

Location

LEEDS GENERAL INFIRMARY, GREAT GEORGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeedsMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465138

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2934SE GREAT GEORGE STREET 714-1/74/196 (North side) 08/10/70 Leeds General Infirmary

GV I

Hospital. 1863-68. By Sir George Gilbert Scott. Extension 1891-92 by George Corson, extended 1915-17 by Kitson and Parish. Red brick, stone dressings, slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: Symmetrical design, H-plan with an extra parallel range making 3 long wings (the entrance wing and wards) joined across the centre by the enclosed garden and chapel range. The ground slope allows for 3 storeys to front, the ground floor/basement housing the administration and storerooms, while the 2 upper floors housed the wards. On the main facade the S ends of the wings are three 3-storey blocks linked by single-storey ranges; to the rear of the garden/chapel line the wings are of 2 storeys with partial basements. EXTERIOR: main entrance block centre is 3-storeyed plus attic with projecting central gable, the ground floor has a porte-cochere of 3 cusped Gothic arches in brick and stone resting on polished granite columns, above are lancet windows, to left and right are 2-light Gothic windows. The arches are of 2 different colours; plate tracery and arcaded parapets throughout. The blocks to the left and right have canted sides with 3-storeyed square bays, tall hipped chateau-style roofs with truncated ridge stacks. Rear: original 3 projecting wings with square corner bays obscured by later additions. Left return: 8 bays with pointed arches to cross windows left and right, gables to top storey; entrance bay flanked by projecting gabled wings centre. Right: added range by Corson in identical style gives an asymmetrical appearance to the facade. INTERIOR: the main entrance opens into a long hall and communication wing which comprises reception hall with fireplace left in Gothic Revival style with flanking columns and pitched overmantel carved in fish-scale pattern, an arcade of 3 pointed arches with stiff-leaf capitals leads to a narrow corridor with roof trusses carried on short columns with brackets carved with medicinal plants; this continues as a wider hall with fine floors of mosaic and polychrome tiles throughout; the main stair hall with a divided cantilevered stair, cast-iron balustrade of columns and rails with fleur-de-lis finials and wooden handrail. The stairs rise to a very fine landing lit by 2 large 3-light

windows with stained glass in ornate panels by O'Connor of London, 1868; a 3-bay arcade of polished granite columns opens from the landing into the corridor to wards and chapel of St Luke. The chapel of St Luke at the E end of the cross-range comprises a nave, sanctuary, gallery, vestry and office; opened 6 June 1869 and extensively refurbished 1926-30: W door with elaborate scrolled wrought-iron hinges; canted E end with 3 two-light stained-glass windows (1868) with scenes from Christ's healing ministry, dedicated by Sir Andrew and Lady Fairbairn and John Deakin Heaton, honorary physician c1850-1880; at the W end a rose window with stained glass depicting angels playing musical instruments; panelled reredos with vine scroll (1926) with carved cusped panels and reset small figures of Florence Nightingale and St Luke; carved wooden pulpit with brass inscription in memory of William Gott, d.1863. W gallery with 1910 organ. Wall panelling installed 1929. The wards are each of 2 storeys with original stone cantilevered staircases at opposite ends from the paired square end bays which remain in original use as toilet blocks. Upper-floor wards have open arched roofs and cast-iron ventilation shafts remain. The Rose Garden is entered from the W side, with direct access from the central entrance on the left return. The glazed roof built in 1867 over the 'Winter Garden' does not survive. Later infilling has linked the originally open-sided wards but the plan which Scott designed in consultation with Florence Nightingale is still clear. HISTORY: The hospital was designed by Scott with the assistance of Dr Chadwick, Chief Physcian at the infirmary, they travelled abroad seeing the latest in hospital design; Florence Nightingale and Sir Douglas Galton, architect of the Herbert Hospital at Woolwich, were also consulted. Foundation stone was laid 29/03/1864, the hospital opened to patients 22/05/1869. Scott's design for the Infirmary 'marks a stylistic turning point in West Yorkshire public building', (Linstrum, p.348). George Corson's addition housed further wards; it is linked to the main range by an arcade of 4 arches. (Linstrum, D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: 1978-: 348 ET SEQ; Hancock, E: A Guide to the Chapel of St Luke: Leeds: 1988-).



Listing NGR: SE2967234048

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hancock, E , A Guide to the Chapel of St Luke Leeds, (1988)
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 348

National Grid Reference: SE 29672 33991

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 04:58:41.