List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1255967

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HEADINGLEY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeedsMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465404

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2835NW HEADINGLEY LANE, Headingley 714-1/64/777 (South West side) 26/09/63 Church of St Michael

GV II*

Anglican church. 1884-5. By JL Pearson. In Gothic Revival style. Coursed squared gritstone, tiled roofs. PLAN: nave with large clerestory, chancel, N and S transepts, N and S aisles. EXTERIOR: tall W tower with thin broach spire and pinnacles. Turreted E gable of chancel, 2 tiers of 3 lancet windows. West end: shallow porch between buttresses has double doors with decorative hinges, attached triple columns, dogtooth mouldings, statue of St Michael in apex of pitched roof; 4-light window with quatrefoil tracery, 3-stage tower above has paired 2-light windows and tall stone-louvred belfry stage. INTERIOR: 3-bay nave, shallow transepts, 3-bay chancel. Nave has cylindrical columns, attached columns on inner face of walling rise between clerestory windows to plain chamfered arches which divide the timber roof. Red and black tiled nave floor, wooden blocks to seating areas, polychrome marble floor to chancel. Alabaster octagonal font with carved biblical scenes on short granite columns; alabaster pulpit by Pearson has preaching figures and similar short columns; wrought-iron screen to chancel and S aisle chapel; lectern with polychrome marble base and brass figures of lions and angels, by Hardman Powel and Co., Birmingham, the inscription 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD, EASTER 1889'; reredos by Temple Moore, 1905 is of carved, gilded and painted wood with figures of Christ in Glory flanked by St George and St Michael and surrounded by saints of the early English church. A brass plaque at the W end of the church records that the memorial stone was laid 29 September 1884 by the Bishop of Ripon, the church was consecrated 8 July 1886, the top stone of the spire fixed 22 October 1890 and the reredos was dedicated 14 December 1905. A large, impressive church.



Listing NGR: SE2801135957

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 28011 35957

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 10:22:20.