List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TEMPLE NEWSAM HOUSE

List entry Number: 1255943

Location

TEMPLE NEWSAM HOUSE, TEMPLE NEWSAM PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeedsMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465426

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3532 TEMPLE NEWSAM PARK, Temple Newsam 714-1/46/1130 Temple Newsam House 19/10/51 (Formerly Listed as: TEMPLE NEWSAM PARK Temple Newsam)

GV I

Country house, now decorative arts museum. Early C16, altered 1630, 1792-96 and late C19. For Thomas, Lord Darcy; altered and extended 1630 by Sir Arthur Ingram, S wing remodelled 1792-96 for Frances Gibson, widow of the 9th Viscount Irwin, William Johnson architect; 'some spectacular antiquarian improvements' (guidebook) for Emily Meynell Ingram in 1877 by GF Bodley and in 1889 by CE Kemp. Stone foundations, red brick, mainly Flemish bond with some irregular header bond and decorative brickwork C16, stone dressings, slate hipped roofs. PLAN: built round 3 sides of a square court, 2 and 3 storeys with basements; windows mostly wide canted bays and narrow straight-sided full-height bays, stone mullions and transoms. EXTERIOR: North wing, N front: 3 storeys, 7 bays, projecting central C19 entrance bay has moulded 4-centred arch, 4-light window and shield with motto above, 5-light mullion and transom window to 1st floor. West front, facade to garden: 3 storeys, 9 bays, the central 5 bays are the earliest part of the house, with diaper-pattern brickwork, central canted bay window, outer 2 bays are C17 work, lead down pipes with heraldic emblems. S wing, garden front: the late C18 rebuild is in the style of the earlier work but details differ. The tall windows have finely-carved recessed cusped panels to the mullions and lintels have fluted frieze with paterae on entablature with moulded cornice; a plaque on the central bay records the rebuilding; terrace with stone balustrade, steps and urns. The courtyard side of this wing has the projecting main entrance bay centre, c1625 lower 2 stages, ashlar, rusticated quoins, keyed round arch, flanking paired fluted columns, entablature and dentilled cornice, carved coat of arms and broken pediment with bust; late C18 6-light mullion and transom window with king mullion to upper storey. The courtyard facades are united by the roof balustrade, original lettering cut in stone 1628, replaced in metal 1788: 'ALL GLORY AND PRAISE BE GIVEN TO GOD THE FATHER THE SON AND HOLY GHOST ON HIGH PEACE ON EARTH GOOD WILL TOWARDS MEN HONOUR

AND TRUE ALLEGIANCE TO OUR GRACIOUS KING LOVING AFFECTION AMONGST HIS SUBJECTS HEALTH AND PLENTY BE WITHIN THIS HOUSE'. INTERIOR: described in the guide book, substantial alterations were made in mid C18 Rococo style by Henry Ingram, 7th Viscount Irwin; and in the later C19. Important features include: N wing entrance on the site of the Tudor gatehouse, now houses the public entrance and shop. The 1st-floor picture gallery was the Jacobean Long Gallery, altered 1738-45 to designs by Daniel Garrett, furniture, plasterwork, fireplaces of this date. The West wing has Tudor timberwork surviving, including carved mouldings and spandrels to lintel beams above the bay windows, a Tudor arched niche and doorway, plaster ceiling probably C17, further remains obscured by later work. On the ground floor C18 service rooms include document safe, butler's pantry with steel-lined plate safe and locking mechanism worked from the floor above. South wing: the C17 porch has double doors in C18 Gothick style with glazed tracery, similar solid inner doors. They open into the Great Hall with C19 Jacobean-style decoration and woodwork, recently restored. Other important features of the interior include the Chinese Drawing room redecorated in 1827-28, oak staircase by CE Kempe, 1894-97; the Palladian library of 1738-45, built in the end of the Jacobean Long Gallery and converted to chapel 1877 by GF Bodley, reconverted 1974. The house was bought from the Hon. Edward Wood for ยป30,000 in 1922 by Leeds Corporation and in 1938 became part of the City Art Gallery; much C19 work was removed in the late 1930s and is now being replaced. The building and its contents are extensively recorded in the Leeds Arts Calendar, the in-house magazine of the Leeds Art Collections Fund. (Leeds City Art Galleries: Temple Newsam (guidebook): 1989-).





Listing NGR: SE3569732136

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Leeds City Art Galleries, , Temple Newsam (Guidebook), (1989)

National Grid Reference: SE 35712 32108

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 03:27:18.