List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE EPIPHANY

List entry Number: 1255904

Location

CHURCH OF THE EPIPHANY, BEECH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeedsMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1993

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465473

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE33NW BEECH LANE, Gipton 714-1/7/694 (North West side) 25/06/93 Church of the Epiphany (Formerly Listed as: BEECH LANE, Gipton The Epiphany)

I

Also known as: The Bishop Burroughs Memorial Church of the Epiphany BEECH LANE Gipton. Anglican parish church. 1936-38, altered 1976. Designed by NF Cachemaille Day and built by Armitage Hodgson of Leeds. Reinforced concrete with brick cladding and plain tile roof. PLAN: nave and chancel under a single roof with square transepts, curved east end and projecting eastern lady chapel also with curved east end. EXTERIOR: chamfered concrete plinth, concrete floor bands and raised coped parapets. West gable end has single-storey projecting porches to north and south, each with double 10-panel doors and chamfered surrounds with concrete hoods. Gable has 2 tall buttresses to centre with window between, linked by a brick cross to flanking bell openings. Nave: 3 pairs of tall rectangular windows , transepts have 4 similar windows. Lady Chapel: 3 tall rectangular windows to each side, 9 similar windows to apse, below smaller windows. INTERIOR: stepped flat concrete ceilings supported on tall plain circular columns. Columns form a continuous curved arcade. Raised circular altar space, raised choir stalls on either side behind 2nd row of tall circular columns. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Gipton estate was one of the first 'garden' estates in the north of England, city centre slum clearance taking place during the 1930s. A temporary church was built in 1936; Cachemaille-Day's plans were inspired by the new church at Coutances and an uncluttered open space was the main consideration, pews rather than chairs, short side altar rails, an 8-foot screen wall separating the high altar from the Lady Chapel, originally intended to be dedicated to St Edmund. A small pulpit wound round one of the columns but was replaced by a larger which was later removed. A tall bell-tower over the Beech Lane entrance was too costly and a steel and masonry spire surmounted by a star was erected over the E gable, this had to be dismantled in 1976. The foundation stone was laid 12 July 1938 by Elsie Burroughs, sister of the late Bishop of Ripon, and the consecration took place on 14 May 1938 in the presence of the Princess Royal.

Early structural problems included roof panels coming loose because the fixing nails were too short and of iron instead of copper, and the wooden floor tiles rose. Acoustical problems were known as 'the Epiphany echo'. Furniture was given by other churches, including the font from St Paulinus', now with a tall cover which is a replica of the lost spire, given by the Mothers' Union.



Listing NGR: SE3356435306

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 33564 35305

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 08:07:39.