List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1255815

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, TOWN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeedsMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465620

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE32NW TOWN STREET, Middleton 714-1/14/986 (North side) 05/08/76 Church of St Mary

GV II

Anglican church. 1845-46. By RD Chantrell. Coursed stone and ashlar, slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: nave, N and S aisles, chancel and SW tower. EXTERIOR: 2-light aisle lancets, single-light lancets to chancel, buttresses and string course at sill level. 5 paired windows on N side; blocked transept window. Tripartite E window, attached columns, head stops. 5-light W window similar, arcading below. 3-stage tower has deep moulded porch, angle buttresses to lower 2 stages, 3-light belfry windows, outer lights blocked; embattled parapet. INTERIOR: tower entrance has Gothic arches to inner and outer doorways, plank doors with elaborate scrolled hinges. Nave: 5 bays, alternate octagonal and cylindrical shafts, tall chamfered arches, rafter roof. Chamfered chancel arch, chancel has rafter roof and border of cusped arches. Brass eagle lectern; plain roll-moulded bench pews, open cusped arcading to choir stalls; wooden pulpit with similar cusped open panels, altar rail similar; stone font at W end has attached columns, arcading to bowl with figures in spandrels. STAINED GLASS: east and west windows have early medieval-style stained glass with figures set in cartouches. C20 reredos has 3 panels with Magi, Resurrection and Presentation in relief. One of Robert Chantrell's later Leeds churches, before he removed to London in 1847. His later group of churches, built 1842-47, reflect his interest in the geometric principals of Gothic architecture. His buildings of this phase have been described as, 'an accomplished and assured series of Gothic essays' (Webster, p.117). The building work is reputed to have been funded by local miners who gave both labour and money; the steeple was taken down in 1939 after subsidence. (Publications of the Thoresby Society: Webster C: RD Chantrell, Architect: His Life and Work in Leeds: 1991-: 116-118; Leeds City Council Countryside Ranger Service: Middleton Park History Trail: 5).

Listing NGR: SE3021628491

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Leeds City Council Countryside Ranger Service' in Middleton Park History Trail, (), 5
Webster, C, 'Thoresby Society Publication' in RD Chantrell Architect His Life and Work in Leeds 1818-47, (), 116-118

National Grid Reference: SE 30216 28491

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 12:14:22.