List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MEMORIAL TO QUEEN VICTORIA

List entry Number: 1255642

Location

MEMORIAL TO QUEEN VICTORIA, WOODHOUSE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeedsMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465817

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2935 WOODHOUSE LANE, Woodhouse Moor 714-1/24/1281 (South West side) 05/08/76 Memorial to Queen Victoria (Formerly Listed as: HYDE PARK, Woodhouse Moor Memorial to Queen Victoria on east side of Woodhouse Moor)

GV II*

Memorial. 1903. By George Frampton RA. Portland stone base and pedestal with bronze figures and frieze. Base of 4 stone steps. The plinth has mouldings on front and rear, a continuous frieze has the words 'INDIA', 'AUSTRALIA', 'CANADA' and 'AFRICA' on scrolled plaques flanked by owls and symbolic foliage. The tall plinth has the royal arms carved in deep relief to front and the words 'RAISED/ BY/ VOLUNTARY SUBSCRIPTION/ OF /CITIZENS/ OF/ LEEDS/ IN THE YEAR/ 1901' on the rear. The sides of the plinth have niches with seated statue of 'PEACE' (left) and 'INDUSTRY' (right). The statue of Queen Victoria is enthroned, in coronation robes; the back of the throne has a radiant sun. On the plinth below the statue the words 'GEO FRAMPTON RA 1903'. The statue originally stood in Victoria Square, outside the Town Hall. It was unveiled on 27 November 1905 and was moved in 1937. (Payne B & Payne D: Old Leeds in Photographs: 26).

Listing NGR: SE2920735070

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Payne, B, Payne, D, Old Leeds in Photographs26

National Grid Reference: SE 29207 35070

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 12:02:03.