List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1255632

Location

98, CHAPELTOWN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeedsMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1991

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465807

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE33NW CHAPELTOWN ROAD 714-1/7/93 (East side) 22/11/91 No.98

GV II

House with steps to front, now dance studios. c1835. Red brick in Flemish bond, finely coursed, stone bands and front steps. Shallow pitch hipped slate roof, most missing, end stacks reduced in height. 2 storeys and cellars, 3 bays; restored 6-panel door. Plate-glass sashes. Short flight of steps with moulded risers and low flanking wall to central entrance with portico of Tuscan columns supporting entablature, cornice and blocking course. Rubbed brick flat arches and stone continuous sill band to windows; deep bracketed eaves. Rear: glazing bars to upper-floor windows. Left return: a small wrought-iron balcony 1st floor, centre. Right return: 2 blocked ground-floor openings, right. INTERIOR: not inspected, but internal walls removed when converted to studios. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house stands in the SW corner of the 'Leeds New Town' development of the Squire's Pasture estate which the 5th Earl Cowper sold to a partnership for ยป29,860 in 1825. The development was intended to provide large houses out of the smoke-laden atmosphere of the city centre, but in 1828 the Earl had to repurchase the land following the partnership's bankruptcy and building was slow, this house being one of few built by 1847 (Nos 50, 52 & 54 Spencer Place, qv). It was later used as the communal offices of the United Hebrew Congregation. Now studios of the Northern School of Contemporary Dance. (A History of Modern Leeds: Beresford, M: The Face of Leeds, 1780-1914: 1980-: 99).



Listing NGR: SE3082835317

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: The Face of Leeds 1780-1914 - Date: 1980 - Page References: 99
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Beresford, M - Title: A History of Modern Leeds

National Grid Reference: SE 30839 35282

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 05:35:49.