List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1255505

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityRichmond upon ThamesLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Mar-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 459808

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 1471 ST JAMES'S ROAD, Hampton

22/18/10059 CHURCH OF ST JAMES

II

Church, begun in 1864 by Wigginton (nave and chancel), completed with the tower by Romaine Walker and Tanner in 1888. Yellow stock brick with red brick and stone dressing. Slate roof. Gothic Revival style. Nave with aisles, tower at west end. Church enlarged in 1873 with addition of north aisle of 6 bays with transverse gables, which pierce roof of nave. Chancel enlarged and furnished in 1876-7 to Wigginton's plans. East window removed to west end and new window by Bailey inserted. South aisle and porch completed 1879. Tower, three stages with battlemented parapet, pinnacles and corner buttresses built 1887-8 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, by Romaine Walker and Tanner. Tall stone spire, pierced with brick banding, Clock by Smith and Derby added 1893. lNTERIOR: nave divided from aisles by 6 bay arcades with pointed arches resting on simple round piers with naturalistically carved capitals, all different. Open timber roof. Pointed chancel arch with red and black brick banding bordered by decorative inscription: '0 come let us ,worship and fall down and kneel before the Lord our Maker'. Chancel has elaborate timber roof with pairs of arched braces. Triple lancet window divided by columns with carved capitals. Choir stalls with carved ends and pierced fronts. Carved angel heads on corbels supporting roof braces. Altar rail: alabaster and marble colonnettes. Minton tiles in decorative floor scheme which continues behind the altar. Carved stone reredos depicting angels, fruit, birds, wheat, and bread. Pulpit: hexagonal alabaster and stone. East window: 1876 by Bailey of London; the rest of the stained glass is Edwardian. Four mosaic panels depict saints. Brass eagle lectern 1882. Baptistry: brick vaulted ceiling with stone ribs. Triple light window, and 2-light window on either side. Octagonal stone font with carved panels and marble colonnettes, 1865.



Listing NGR: TQ1401571414

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 14015 71414

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 10:20:37.