List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHEWTON PLACE

List entry Number: 1255451

Location

CHEWTON PLACE, CHEWTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Bath and North East SomersetUnitary AuthorityCompton Dando

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Mar-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 459719

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST66NE COMPTON DANDO CHEWTON ROAD, Chewton Keynsham (South East Side) 3/10003 Chewton Place (Formerly listed as : 19.06.75 CHEWTON ROAD (South East Side) Chewton Place)

II

Detached house, now conference centre. Circa 1762; extended c.1786; altered early C19; extensively remodelled in 1860- 70; restored in 1968 after flood damage and further extended in 1987 -8. Colourwashed stucco with limestone ashlar dressings and gabled slate roofs. Classical style. Double-depth plan with central stair hall and reception rooms to either side; late C20 extensions to south-east and north-east corners. 2-storey; 9-window range. Main south front with central 3-bay recessed section flanked by 3-bay wing to left and 2-bay wing to right. Ground floor has section of projecting late C19 loggia to left which continues around the west front: circular columns with foliated capitals and plain entablature with bracketed cornice; decorative roundels above capitals with foliage and wolves' heads. The loggia is developed from projecting late C19 extension to centre providing porch and further accommodation; ashlar dressings and bracketed cornices tie the extension stylistically into the loggia. Porch with round-arched doorway giving onto loggia with part-glazed late C19 door and semicircular fanlight; sash window to south with glazing bars only in top section. Canted bay set centrally in extension with plate glass sashes; 2 late C19 French windows to loggia. C20 extension to south-east corner has two C20 12-pane sashes and one multi-paned window. First floor has late C20 12-pane sashes throughout. External stack to left with ashlar shaft and late C19 side colonettes; annorial stone above central first-floor window and round-arched balustrade to centre section with end colonettes connected to 2 ashlar roof stacks. Synunetrical2-storey; 5-window west front with recessed central bay and slightly projecting 2-bay wings. Loggia extends across southernmost wing; canted bay to northern wing with plate glass sashes and bracketed cornice; plain pedimented gables to wings with bracketed cornice. 2 French windows below loggia; 12-pane sashes to ground floor centre bay and throughout first floor. INTERIOR: Stairwell has mid C18 bracketed cornice and egg-and-dart frieze; late C19 staircase with carved blausters. Good late C19 cornice and central rose in ground floor room to north-west. HISTORICAL NOTE: The house was built as a mill owner's dwelling across the river from a paper mill on an island between two waterways. The mill was in operation until 17 49 when it and the owner's house was destroyed by fire. The house and mill were rebuilt by 1762 when the latter was producing logwood chips for the dying industry .The house was in domestic occupation unti11968 when it was bought by Imperial Tobacco for use as a training centre; sold in 1987, it is now used as a conference centre.



Listing NGR: ST6564066948

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 65640 66948

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 12:59:28.