List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL

List entry Number: 1255283

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL, WOLLATON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of NottinghamUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 459113

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK5239NW 646-1/16/755

NOTTINGHAM, WOLLATON ROAD (North East side), Wollaton, Church of St Leonard and attached boundary wall

(Formerly Listed as: WOLLATON ROAD, Wollaton Church of St Leonard)

11/08/52

GV II*

Parish church. Chancel c1200, remodelled C14, nave and tower late C14, north aisle c1500, Willoughby mausoleum and south aisle 1885-87, by Charles Hodgson Fowler. Restored 1885-87, also by Fowler, and 1968-70. Mausoleum converted to south chapel 1924. Coursed squared stone and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. PLAN: chancel, south chapel, nave with clerestory, aisles, west tower and spire. EXTERIOR: plinth, sill bands, coped parapets and gables, with crosses. Diagonal and angle buttresses. Chancel has a traceried east window, 3 lights, with hood mould. On each side, a traceried flat-headed window, 2 lights. South chapel has a four-centred arched east window, 3 lights, with hood mould, and to south 2 flat-headed windows, 2 lights. Round-arched priest's door. North aisle, 10 bays, has renewed flat-headed untraceried windows, 2 and 3 lights. To east, a 4-centred arched door flanked to left by a small original window. In the eighth bay, moulded pointed arched doorway, now blocked. Ends have single windows. South aisle, 3 bays, has to east 2 flat-headed windows, 3 lights, and to west, a moulded doorway. West end has 2 single lancets. Nave, 3 bays, has to south-west a traceried flat-headed window, 2 lights. To its left, a narrow doorway. 2 flat-headed clerestory windows, 3 lights. On the north side, 2 small clerestory windows, 2 lights. Square west tower, 2 stages, has small diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapet. Double chamfered pointed arched openings to north and south, with late C20 glazing. Clock to west. Bell stage has a traceried flat-headed opening, 2 lights, on each side. Set back octagonal spire with a tier of lucarnes. Boundary wall, attached to west tower, borders Wollaton Road on the south east side approx 60m. Coursed squared stone with rounded coping. INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has at the west end a moulded span beam with arch braces and corbels, in addition to the original beam. C19 arch braced roof on corbels. East end has a stained glass window, 1886, and an unusual carved wooden reredos, c1660, with columns and broken segmental pediment. North side has a C19 doorway, then a large monument with an early C20 stained glass window above. South side has an ogee piscina and single sedilia, C14, and a stained glass window, 1922. South chapel has a renewed low pitched roof, plain windows, and roll moulded doorway to south. Nave has restored low pitched roof. North arcade, 5 bays, has double chamfered arches with unusual quatrefoil piers. East and west bays are narrower, with sections of wall instead of piers. South arcade, 3 bays, restored C19, has double chamfered arches to west with a quatrefoil pier, and a cove-moulded arch to east. West of the arcade, a stained glass window, C19, 2 lights. West end has a pointed arched doorway, C19. North aisle has low pitched roof, mainly original, with plaster ceiling at east end. C19 door into chancel, C20 door to adjoining church hall. C20 stained glass east window. South aisle has renewed roof and double chamfered arch to south chapel. 2 early C20 stained glass windows, and south door altered to a window. Fittings include octagonal font, wooden skeleton pulpit and brass lectern, 1886, and mid C20 stalls and benches. Monuments are unusually numerous, including canopied recess with brasses, slab and cadaver to Richard Willoughby, 1471, and arched recess with tomb chest and effigies to Henry Willoughby and 4 wives, 1528. The chest has openwork arches and figures, and a cadaver below. Other Willoughby family monuments include a tablet with urns and vases, 1800, by Sir John Bacon, and another with angels, 1835, by Sir Richard Westmacott. Tablet with strapwork, 1614, to Robert Smythson, designer of Wollaton Hall (qv). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 273-274).

Listing NGR: SK5249239790

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 273-274

National Grid Reference: SK 52492 39790

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 12:38:29.