List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER STABLES AT OSBORNE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1255100

Location

FORMER STABLES AT OSBORNE HOUSE, WHIPPINGHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Isle of WightUnitary AuthorityEast Cowes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458711

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EAST COWES

SZ59SW WHIPPINGHAM ROAD 947/7/136 Osborne House 23-JAN-87 Former Stables at Osborne House

GV II*



Former stables to Osborne House. 1859-60 by J C Mann, Clerk of Works, and H R H Prince Albert; converted to Naval College 1903-4. Rendered brick, state roof. Quadrangular on plan. Central 2 storey entrance pavilion, flanked by formerly onestorey, 8 bay wings, heightened to 2 storeys in c1904 for Royal Naval College.Gabled central entrance pavilion has moulded and keyed round arch; 2 leaf plank doors, formerly with flush panelling, now glazed panels. Flanking narrow 2-light ground floor windows. String course at impost level. Similar but smaller windows to mezzanine. Large tripartite window to first floor; sashes with glazing bars. Flanking panels bearing Royal coat of arms with roundel inscribed '1860' in gable. Projecting eaves. Flanking wings have 2 large 3-light ground floor windows with wooden mullions and 4 upper floor windows, all c1904 with sashes. Ridge stack to left and right of pavilion, c 1904 skylights to wings. Rear includes projecting ground floor entrance and upper floor Venetian window. Single storey ranges at rear, the sides originally with small 2-light round-headed windows, mostly converted on north side to segmental headed windows and enlarged on south side, and enlarged on south side and at rear. Around the inside of the yard originally there was a glazed canopy. INTERIOR: The main range has large rooms on either side of the central carriageway, the floors supported on thin iron posts, the upper rooms with sky-lights and iron-rod braced roof trusses. Two stairs with simple iron balustrades. SOURCE: PRO Work 37/139 and 140; work 15/135; Royal Archives, Windsor, PPOSB 159.



Listing NGR: SZ5127394653

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 51273 94653

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 03:35:49.