List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1254938

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES, WENLOCK ROAD
WENLOCK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityShrewsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458397

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ51SW WENLOCK ROAD 653-1/5/691 (East side) 10/01/53 Church of St Giles

GV II*

Church. Foundation and some surviving structure of C12, extended successively thereafter, and extensively restored by Samuel Pountney Smith in 1860-63. Coursed and squared sandstone, with plain tiled roof. PLAN: nave with north aisle and chapel, chancel. EXTERIOR: western bellcote on gable, carried by central buttress pierced and flanked by lancet windows. South wall possibly largely C12, coursed and squared sandstone, raised later. Simple roll-moulded doorway in timber porch added in restoration. Trefoiled and plate traceried windows of 1 and 2 lights, inserted in restoration. Organ loft and chancel are additions of c1860. 4-light chancel east window in Decorated style. Single-storey polygonal vestry added 1893 by Lloyd Oswell. 2- and 3-light Decorated windows to north aisle, and 4-light west window. INTERIOR: nave arcade of four and a half bays, possibly C14, but restored. Cylindrical shafts carrying chamfered and roll-moulded arches with foliate respond to the east. Heavy timber roof structure, possibly C15, with curved principals and collar over tie beam. C19 chancel arch with marble shafts with stiff leaf capitals springing high from corbels. Keeled panelled chancel ceiling. North aisle largely c1860, with wide arch to eastern chapel, a C15 arch partially concealed behind a later one leading to chancel. FITTINGS: C12 font, with chevron base and primitive figures in an arcade round the basin. Other fittings largely date from restoration. STAINED GLASS by Kempe in west window, and chancel east and south windows. East window dated 1902, south window of 1931. West window of aisle has stained glass by David Evans. Flemish glass resited in north aisle chapel window. The church was established as a leper hospital chapel c1154-62, and incorporates the remains of this original building. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1858-).

Listing NGR: SJ5072911845

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SJ 50730 11841

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 08:50:30.