List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: INDIA HOUSE (INCLUDING ATTACHED WROUGHT IRON GATEWAY LINKED TO LANCASTER HOUSE)

List entry Number: 1254836

Location

INDIA HOUSE (INCLUDING ATTACHED WROUGHT IRON GATEWAY LINKED TO LANCASTER HOUSE), 73 AND 75, WHITWORTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458159

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8497NW WHITWORTH STREET 698-1/32/441 (South side) 03/10/74 Nos.73 AND 75 India House (including attached wrought-iron gateway linked to Lancaster House)

GV II*

Packing warehouse, converted as apartments 1988-9. Dated 1906, built between 1905 and 1912; by Harry S.Fairhurst. Steel-framed, with cladding of buff terracotta and red brick with buff terracotta dressings (roof concealed). Large rectangular plan. Edwardian Baroque style. Six storeys with basement and attic, 3:4:6:4:3 windows at 1st floor, symmetrical; rock-faced plinth, channelled buff terracotta to ground and 1st floors with mutuled cornice on brackets (a cartouche under this at each corner lettered "INDIA HOUSE"), giant arcades to the next 4 floors with brick pilasters, very heavily enriched terracotta frieze (swags, volutes, cartouches, etc.) and modillioned cornice, and attic treated as a parapet. The strong horizontal emphasis of the facade is relieved by vertical features flanking the 6-bay centre: these have entrances at ground floor with elaborate surrounds of grey ashlar including large semi-circular open pediments with mutules over recessed doorways with flanking Ionic semi-columns, and panelled side-bays under mutuled cornices supported by cartouches (lettered "73" and "75" respectively); canted bay windows of terracotta tiered from 2nd to 5th floors, with various forms of enrichment including corbelled plaques at the top lettered "1906", and flanked by broad banded terracotta pilasters; and attics under hefty semi-circular open pediments with mutules and cartouches. The other bays have segmental-headed windows at 1st floor, round-headed at 5th floor, and square-headed elsewhere, mostly containing 3-light sashes and mostly also with triple keystones; and the attic has low recessed 3-light windows. Return walls similar. Attached at the left end, and linked to No.71 (Lancaster House), is a large gateway composed of double gates with ramped tops and semicircular 4-strand overthrow forming a complete circle from the apex of which is suspended a slender lamp in Art Nouveau style. Forms group with Nos 67 to 71 (Lancaster House) to the left (q.v.), with Refuge Assurance building to the right (Oxford Road, q.v.), and with Nos 58 to 60 (Bridgewater House) opposite (q.v.). Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ8421597619

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 84215 97619

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 11:50:39.