List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1254832

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, WATERLOO ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458149

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 80 SW WATERLOO ROAD, Cheetham (east side) 698-1/2/580 Church of St John the Evangelist

3/10/74 II*

Church. 1869-71, by Paley and Austin. Coursed squared sandstone, red tile roofs. Romanesque/early C12 style. Nave and full-height apsidal chancel in one, with north and south aisles, west porch and south-west tower. The large square 4-stage tower has a distinctive design with clasping corner pilasters terminating in steeply-pitched pyramidal roofs which clasp the lower stage of a steep pyramidal mansard root; a rounded 2-centred arched south doorway moulded in 4 orders with pipe-corbels to a carved tympanum, a one-light west window to the 2nd stage moulded in 2 orders, shafted blank arcading to the 3rd stage with 2 small lancets in the centre of each side, and tall coupled belfry windows with shafts and louvres. The west end of the nave has prominent buttresses framing a 2-bay porch with mono-pitched roof and 2 doorways with moulded surrounds and carved tympana lettered "In the Beginning" and " Alleluia Alleluia" respectively, 3 lancets above the porch with linked hoodmoulds, and a moulded multifoil in the gable. The 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel have pilasters with corner shafts, coupled windows to the nave and pairs of windows to the chancel with a nailhead band in each bay; the aisles have cusped lancets and a central buttress; and the apse (flow surrounded by C20 single-storey additions) has buttresses and 2 tiers of arcading, with 2-centred blind windows in the lower and 2-centred arched windows in the upper, and a nailhead band carried round. Interior: Wagon roof with tie beams supported by arcade of alternate polygonal and clustered columns. Much original woodwork including choir stalls and pulpit decorated with incised flowers and full set of benches to the nave. Blind arcading in the apse and massive sculpted reredos added 1879. Mosaic panels in apse and over west door and encaustic tiles in chancel. Stained glass, largely of the 1880's, including windows by C.E.Kempe. A landmark in its locality, designed by one of the region's most significant and influential architectural partnerships of the late C19.



Listing NGR: SD8400700961

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 84007 00961

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 11:24:27.