List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ALKMUND

List entry Number: 1254774

Location

CHURCH OF ST ALKMUND, ST ALKMOND'S PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityShrewsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 457917

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912SW ST ALKMOND'S PLACE 653-1/15/522 Church of St Alkmund 10/01/53 (Formerly Listed as: ST ALKMOND'S SQUARE Church of St Alkmund)

GV II*

Parish church. 1794-5 incorporating C15 tower. John Carline and Tilley. White sandstone with leaded roofs. West tower and spire, nave with lean-to aisles, and short chancel. EXTERIOR: 4-stage west tower of coursed and squared rubble with Perpendicular west door with square hoodmould flanked by ogee niches. 4-light window over, and bell chamber opening of 3-lights. Pierced tracery to parapet, angle buttresses terminating in pinnacles. Spire with lucarnes. Ashlar to aisles, divided into 6 bays by thin pilaster buttresses with recessed panelling. Windows mostly of c1900, Decorated style, with stone tracery, but west windows have cast-iron tracery which dates from 1795. Cast-iron tracery in east window. Small porch with clustered columns carrying flat entablature in NE angle over Early English-style doorway. INTERIOR: a single space with a very short chancel behind chamfered arch carried on corbels. High chamfered west tower arch with abaci continuing as string course over west wall is the only visible fabric of medieval church. Flat panelled ceiling with main beams carried on wall posts on corbels. Pews said to date from 1795, but panelling and ceiling along with organ and screen to NE and screen to SE chapel are c1900. STAINED GLASS: 2 panels in north aisle, early C20. East window, Our Lady Queen of Heaven by Francis Eginton, 1795, a painting on glass. MEMORIALS: N aisle: Thomas and Mary Jones, 1715. Marble urn in pedimented surround with swags and putti etc; Sir Thomas Jones, 1702, by James Paget, an inscribed panel surmounted by broken pediment on Corinthian shafts flanked by foliate scrolls. Various simpler marble slabs in E and S wall of S aisle, and 3 re-sited brass figures of c1500, mounted on a board. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1958-).

Listing NGR: SJ4927112487

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SJ 49271 12487

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:03:03.