List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: VICTORIA STATION INCLUDING CONCOURSE TO REAR WITH RESTAURANT AND BOOKING HALL

List entry Number: 1254725

Location

VICTORIA STATION INCLUDING CONCOURSE TO REAR WITH RESTAURANT AND BOOKING HALL, VICTORIA STATION APPROACH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 457831

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8398NE VICTORIA STATION APPROACH 698-1/26/425 (North East side) 20/06/88 Victoria Station including concourse to rear with restaurant and booking hall (Formerly Listed as: VICTORIA STATION APPROACH Canopy at front of Victoria Station)

GV II

Railway station. Original block to Hunt's Bank Approach, 1844, for the Manchester and Leeds Railway Company (also used by the Liverpool and Manchester Railway Company), altered and greatly enlarged 1909 by William Dawes for the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company; altered. Sandstone ashlar office blocks with slate roofs; cast-iron train sheds with slate and glazed roofs. Office blocks form L-plan, the original building on a north-east/south-west axis, and the much larger addition at right-angles to its north end. 1844 block in Italianate manner, now 2 storeys (originally one storey) and 7 bays wide, with square-headed doorways to left and right, arcaded windows to both floors of the centre, other windows with architraves and cornices. 1909 block in neo-Baroque style, 4 storeys and 31 bays plus rounded corner at south-east end; with channelled rustication to ground and 1st floors, pilasters to 2nd and 3rd floors, moulded cornice, and balustraded parapet interrupted by wide segmental open pediments over the 2nd, 6th, 19th and 29th bays, and upstands with clocks over the 4th bay and the curved corner. Round-headed windows and doorways to ground floor protected by delicate iron and glass canopy displaying names of one-time destinations in Art Nouveau lettering; windows to upper floors mostly square-headed and mullioned, but including oriels at 2nd and Venetian windows at 3rd floor of the pedimented bays. Fine surviving interiors to this part, including panelled booking hall, restaurant with stained glass dome and mosaic lettering, bookstall with mosaic decoration, map of Lancashire and Yorkshire railway system in tilework, etc.

Listing NGR: SJ8387298995

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 83872 98995

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Dec-2014 at 12:11:09.