List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1254668

Location

11, KING STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of NottinghamUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 457420

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK5740SW KING STREET 646-1/14/306 (West side) 06/06/72 No.11 (Formerly Listed as: KING STREET Prudential Assurance Building)

GV II

Insurance company offices, now offices. 1880-1890. By Alfred Waterhouse for the Prudential Assurance Co. Restored and converted 1991. Red brick, with granite basement and terracotta dressings, and gabled and hipped plain tile roofs. Flemish Renaissance Revival style. EXTERIOR: plinth, sill bands, ground floor and eaves cornices, latticework balustrade. Acute-angled corner block, 3 storeys plus basement and attics; 3 x 5 bays. Windows are mainly cross casements with elaborate terracotta surrounds. Corner entrance bay has an elaborate opening with steps to a recessed door. Overdoor framed by pilasters, with central figure and niche, flanked by shields and small mullioned windows, all under a cornice. Above, 2 floors with double windows and a pierced balcony. Above again, a square tower, 2 stages, with corner turrets and spires, and an octagonal main spire with patterned leadwork and finial. The spire has lucarnes and a tier of bell openings. On each side, a curved double bay with a central pilaster, with 4 windows on the lower floors and 2 windows above, topped with a gabled dormer. Basement has 4 openings. Returns, 5 bays, are identical, with 4 regular courses of windows and gabled dormers. 2 round-arched basement openings in each bay. Emphasised end bays have similar fenestration plus round-arched doorways and elaborate gabled dormers topped with square-spired fleches. INTERIOR has some original features, including round stairwell with stone spiral stair and wrought-iron railing, and similar minor stair. Entrance hall has moulded glazed tile panel and 3 door surrounds. Banking hall has textured tiling and strapwork panelled ceiling with enriched dentillated cornices. 2 chamfered round arches to similarly tiled corridor. Faience tile fireplace with arcaded canopy, and clock dated 1895. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 234).

Listing NGR: SK5722040012

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire - Date: 1979 - Page References: 234

National Grid Reference: SK 57220 40012

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 09:19:43.