List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OWEN'S MANSION

List entry Number: 1254478

Location

OWEN'S MANSION, 23 AND 24, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityShrewsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 457326

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912NW HIGH STREET 653-1/11/353 (North East side) 10/01/53 Nos.23 AND 24 Owen's Mansion

GV II*

House, now shop. Dated 1569. Timber-framed with plain tiled roof. 3 storeys, 2-window range. Inserted shopfront occupies entire ground floor and continues across adjacent building, No.25 (qv). First floor has close studding with middle rail, and arched tension bracing. 2 late C19 mullioned and transomed oriel windows of 4 lights, with decorative lead cames. Jettied second storey with moulded bressumer and decorative panelling comprising a continuous series of cusped quatrefoils. Twisted shafts superimposed on vertical members, quatrefoils recessed in horizontals. Inscribed plaque in centre reads: "Erected by Richard Owen the Elder gentleman anno domini 1569". Two 3-light oriel windows beneath projecting gables with herringbone struts, and enriched barge-boards with figures as finials. Stack to rear left and on right hand gable. The building has formed part of a department store since at least the early C20.

Listing NGR: SJ4918612539

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 49159 12530

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 12:13:41.