List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UPPER CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1254389

Location

UPPER CHURCH OF ST PETER, HASTINGS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentTunbridge WellsDistrict AuthorityPembury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437880

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 62 40 PEMBURY HASTINGS ROAD

13/362 Upper Church of St Peter 20.10.54

GV II*

Parish church, former Chapel of Ease. 1846-7 on ground provided by the Marquess Camden, designed by Stephens of Tunbridge Wells; E.W. Stephens according to Newman, N.E. Stephens according to the Church Guide (see sources below). The steeple was strengthened in 1886 but was removed in 1984, north aisle extended in 1894. Coursed local sandstone ashlar, slate roof.

Plan: Nave and chancel with north and south aisles (the north aisle extended to full length). Tower at the west end of the south aisle. North porch. Vestry with cellar under on south side of the chancel. Essentially a single phase building in a Perpendicular Gothic style.

Exterior: Tower of 3 stages with set back buttresses, embattled parapet over a moulded cornice with carved gargoyle water spouts. Belfry has pairs of tall lancets with tracery. Small trefoil headed lancets to the ringing floor. 2- light windows with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds in the lower stage like those around the rest of the church. Tower west doorway is a 2-centred arch with moulded surround and hoodmould rising from a continuous dripcourse round the whole church. South aisle is 3 bays separated by buttresses containing 3-light windows. Moulded cornice above with parapet and clerestorey of nave has 3 2-light windows. East end of nave has kneelers carved with human heads (Victoria and Albert?). East window is 4 lights. north aisle is 6 bays in the same Perpendicular style. Gabled porch right of centre with low diagonal buttresses, 2-centred outer arch with moudled surround and contains good plank door on ornate strap hinges. West end of north aisle has a 2-light window and 5-light window at west end of nave.

Interior: Nave has a 4-bay open hammer beam roof in Perpendicular style. Chancel has a plainer 2-bay roof of arch-braced trusses. The chancel arch, tower arch and arcades are 2-centred arches on diagonally set piers or imposts with engaged shafts on the corner, moulded caps and bases. Small shoulder- headed arch doorway to vestry. Plastered walls. Floor of black and red tiles with sanctuary including encaustic tiles.

Fittings and Furniture: Stone reredos a Perpendicular Gothic blind arcade. Oak altar rail has relatively plain standards and brackets pierced by trefoils. Stone pulpit in same Gothic style. Chancel defined by brass rail on iron standards (maybe put there in the modernisation of 1894). Brass pulpit on wooden base. Perpendicular style stone font, the sides of its octagonal bow carved with quatrefoil panels. Pine stalls and benches.

Memorials: Few and of no more than local interest. East window of C19 stained glass. The stained glass window in south aisle is dated 1902 and small window at west end of north aisle has unusual stained glass signed by Leonard Walker and dated 1938.

Sources Church Guide (1986). J. Newman. West Kent and the Weald, Penguin Buildings of England series (1969), p.451. M. Standen. Pembury in the Past (1984) Photograph reproduced on p.23 shows the church complete with its spire.

Listing NGR: TQ6260840643

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Guide to the Upper Church of St Peter Pembury Kent - Date: 1986
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Standen, M - Title: Pembury in the Past - Date: 1984 - Page References: 23
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Newman, J - Title: The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald - Date: 1969 - Page References: 451

National Grid Reference: TQ 62608 40643

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 09:31:10.