List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1254085

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND ST JOHN, LINCOLN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireNorth KestevenDistrict AuthorityDorrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437460

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DORRINGTON LINCOLN ROAD TF 05 SE (east side) 4/29 Church of St James and 1.2.67 St John - I Parish church. C13, C14, C15 restored C19. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate and plain tile roofs. Ashlar coped gables with kneelers. West tower, nave, aisles, south porch chancel and vestry. Ashlar, 3 stage western tower has deeply moulded plinth, second stage band, moulded cornice with central gargoyle and coped parapet, plus full height angle buttresses. South face, first stage blank, second stage has flat headed chamfered lancet, third stage has a 2 light reticulated tracery bell opening, in a pointed and moulded, double chamfered arch. To the western corner is an in-built stair turret with 2 small lancets. West face, first stage, has single pointed lancet in double chamfered surround, with a small pointed niche above. Second stage is blank. Third stage has similar bell openings. North face, first and second stages are blank, the third has another bell opening. East face has a bell opening at the third stage. The north aisle has a chamfered plinth and quoins, and the west wall is blank, the north wall has to the right a doorway with plank door in a chamfered segment headed surround with moulded impost blocks. To the left a 2 light panel tracery, in a shallow pointed deeply chamfered surround. The east wall has a 2 light, cusped, intersecting tracery window, in a pointed deeply chamfered surround. The clerestory, which is the same on the north and the south, has 3, 3 light windows with a central higher light in shallow pointed and chamfered surrounds, with hoods and above a plain coped parapet, which extends over the eastern gable and is topped with a cross finial. The chancel has a chamfered plinth. The north wall has a chamfered lancet with hood to the right, and from the centre projects a C19 vestry with ashlar coped gable with moulded kneelers and a large gable stack, corbelled out twice on sets of 3 corbels, plus 2 cusped and chamfered lancets. The east wall has gabled angle buttresses with curved figures adorning the gables, and ogee cups above. The east window has a 3 light reticulated tracery window, with applied roll moulding, in a ogee topped surround with a finial. Above are 2 lengths of a frieze or tympanum of the Last Judgement, the left piece shows figures climbing out of their graves, and the right the mouth of hell. Above again a small vacant niche. The south wall has a central priest's door in a segment headed, chamfered surround. To the right a single chamfered lancet with hood, then beyond a small 2 light flat headed window in a chamfered surround. The south aisle east wall has a single 3 light panel tracery window in a chamfered surround with a segment head. The south wall has gabled angle buttresses and to the right another 3 light panel tracery window in a chamfered surround with segment head. The porch has ashlar coped gables with kneelers, and a cross finial, the pointed arched opening has a chamfered arch, with moulded hood and octagonal shaft responds with moulded bases and capitals. Stone benches. The inner doorway has double plank doors, in a pointed and moulded double chamfered arch with hood. The south aisle west wall has a single ogee headed chamfered lancet. Interior: 2 bay double chamfered nave arcades, with to the south, an octagonal pier and responds, and to the north a quatrefoil shafted pier decorated with dogtooth and keeled shafted responds, all with moulded bases and capitals. The tower arch, is double chamfered with inner keeled responds and outer shafts, to the left stiff leaf capitals and to the right moulded ones. Above the former roof line is visible. The chancel arch, is double chamfered with moulded bases and capitals and a hood. 2 ornate ogee headed niches flank the east window. The south aisle has a chamfered, and pointed arched piscina and an ornate niche to the right of the east window. C19 circular, bowl and stem ashlar font. C19 wooden roofs, benches, altar rail and pulpit. Choir stalls and mostly C19 with some C15 bench ends. MONUMENTS: North aisle has a fine, large marble wall monument with fluted Corinthian pilasters, supported on brackets, with an open segmental pediment above and scroll sides. To Anthony Oldfield and his wife Elizabella, and their 4 daughters MARY, ELIZABETH, LUCY and MARGRET. Erected by Lucy Oldfield 1715. Chancel has a stone wall tablet with fluted Doric pilasters and pediment to John and Lucy Todkill, 1740. A very unusual stone tablet to Gilby Todkill 1756 and another equally unusual to Eleanor Todkill 1787. Stone wall tablet with pediment to William Thacker 1788 made by John Bourn of Sleaford. Marble wall tablet, now incomplete, to Elizabeth Groundman 1708. Bronze plaque to those who died in the first World War. 3 other C19 tablets to John Todkill 1806, Mary Kaye 1837 and Elizabeth Farmer 1847. Brass plate to Charles Clarke 1915.

Listing NGR: TF0761953377

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 07621 53375

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 10:42:21.