List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JUDE

List entry Number: 1254029

Location

CHURCH OF ST JUDE, FREE SCHOOL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Nov-2010

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437366

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



679/7/158 FREE SCHOOL LANE 23-NOV-73 SAVILE PARK CHURCH OF ST JUDE (Formerly listed as: SAVILE PARK SAVILE PARK CHURCH OF ST JUDE)

II DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: Parish church of 1889-90 by W.S. Barber

MATERIALS: Coursed, hammer-dressed sandstone with freestone dressings, graded-slate roof.

PLAN: Aisled nave with south-west tower, chancel with south organ chamber and north chapel.

EXTERIOR: A large suburban church in a free-Gothic style. The 4-stage tower has angle buttresses, from which attached pinnacles rise at the bell stage. An embattled parapet has corner pinnacles. The lower stage, which functions as the porch, has a south doorway with continuous moulding, and cusped lancets in east and west walls. Above are pairs of cusped lancets under drip moulds, round clock faces in square surrounds under drip moulds and, in the bell stage, pairs of 2-light transomed openings. The nave west front comprises 2 tall 2-light transomed windows with Decorated tracery, either side of a central buttress. Aisle windows have alternate Decorated and Perpendicular tracery, and are 2-light except for 3-light at the east end of the north aisle and 3-light at the west end of the south. The 5 triple stepped clerestorey windows have ogee-headed lights. Chancel windows have Perpendicular tracery comprising a 5-light east window and transomed 3-light south and 2-light north window. The north chapel was probably once a vestry as there is a stone stack on the north-east angle of the nave. The transeptal south organ chamber has a 2-light south window and, in a lean-to on its west side, an ogee-headed doorway.

INTERIOR: Five-bay arcades have octagonal piers with double-chamfered arches. The chancel arch is similar, but with polygonal responds and foliage capitals. The nave roof is arched-brace trusses with tracery above, and the chancel has a 4-bay cusped arched-brace roof. In the chancel the arch to the south organ chamber has a continuous roll mould and label with a boat (attribute of Jude) on one of the stops. The 2-bay north chancel arcade has a central pier of moulded sub-rectangular section and no capitals. Walls are plastered. Floorboards are beneath the pews.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The font is octagonal Perpendicular style, with ornate bowl and panelled stem. Pews have ends with ogee-headed tops and linenfold panelling. (Two rows of pews have been removed from the east end of the nave.) A churchwarden's pew against the west wall has a coved canopy. The wooden pulpit is polygonal with open Gothic tracery, on a stone base and steps. Choir stalls have ends with ogee tops and blind tracery, and open arcaded frontals. The communion rail has wide arches with delicate tracery. The sanctuary walls have Gothic panelling, and a reredos of 5 niches under tracery, cornice and brattishing. The east window shows Christ in Glory (1910), and the chapel east window shows the Nativity by F.W. Cole (1972).

HISTORY: Parish church of 1889-90 by William Swinden Barber (fl 1855-98), architect of Halifax, at a cost of £8,000.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Church of St Jude, Savile Park, Halifax, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is a large suburban church retaining its late C19 character, in a prominent position on the edge of Savile Park, where it makes an important contribution to the historical integrity of the local townscape. * The interior preserves a traditional late C19 layout retaining nearly all of its original fixtures.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 08685 24052

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 01:45:01.