List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MOUNT SION METHODIST CHURCH AND HOUSE ATTACHED

List entry Number: 1254018

Location

MOUNT SION METHODIST CHURCH AND HOUSE ATTACHED, PER LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437335

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 02 NE PER LANE (North side) 679/4/334 Mount Sion Methodist Church And House Attached 23.11.73 II*

Chapel and attached house. 1773, chapel rebuilt 1815, interior refitted c1870. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs with coped gables with moulded kneelers. 2 stone stacks and metal ventilator. Chapel has main south front with 2 round arched windows with margin light glazing flanked by single round arched doorways with impost blocks and keystones, each with a plank door and partly boarded fanlight. Central vesica shaped plaque inscribed "This chapel was rebuilt in the year 1815". Above a reset sundial dated 1773 and inscribed "Mount Sion". Above 4 further round arched windows with margin light glazing. East elevation has 2 round arched windows with margin light glazing to each floor, above a central semi-circular window with keystone and similar glazing. North elevation has large semi-circular apse flanked by single flat-headed windows with similar margin light glazing to each floor. Apse has single small window to ground floor and above 2 round headed windows with margin light glazing and keystones. INTERIOR has fine quality Victorian fittings including galleries on 3 sides supported on cast iron columns. Elaborate central reading desk with right staircase with cast iron balustrade. Behind choir gallery and organ in semi-circular apse topped with the date 1773. Minister's house to west, 2 storey with render side and rear. Quoins. South front has projecting gabled porch to left and single 5-light ashlar mullion window and above single similar 5-light window. West gable elevation has single small fixed light and upper 2-light casement. North front has doorway to right with ashlar surround and 5-light mullion window to left. Above a 3-light and a 2-light mullion window.



Listing NGR: SE0680329695

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 06803 29695

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 06:59:22.