List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1253889

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityLetcombe Bassett

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Dec-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437215

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LETCOMBE BASSETT SU38SE 10/110 Church of St. Michael 24/11/66 (Formerly listed as St.Michael & GV All Angels) II*

Church. C12, remodelled c.1861 by W. Butterfield. Chalk and sarsen coursed rubble rendered; limestone quoins and dressings; tile roof. C12 chancel; nave remodelled and south aisle and vestry built c.1861; late C13 west tower. Two- light east window much restored; north wall of chancel has C12 round-headed lancet and fine C12 doorway has roll moulded arch, scalloped capitals with 4 carved signs of the Evangelists; south wall of chancel has similar C12 lancet and 2-light late C13 windows; mid C19 vestry with pointed arches to doors in end walls. South wall of nave has two 3-light C15 windows and 3-light ogee headed window of c.1861: gabled porch of c.1861 has limestone ashlar front, flint side wall, pierced gable end bargeboard; north wall of nave has 3-light late C13 window and late C13 door with fillet and roll- moulded architrave. South aisle, c.1861, has one-, 2-and 3-light windows. Gabled roofs to nave and chancel. West tower has diagonal buttresses; late C13 two- light window set in late C17/early C18 English bond brick wall. Interior: polychrome reredos with coloured inlaid stone, tiled bands round chancel walls, piscina, altar rail, benches, floor tiles and 2-bay canted roof all of c.1861. C12 chancel arch has carved leaf trails to abaci of responds. Trefoil- headed niche for images to east wall of nave, with blocked access to rood over. Nave has trefoiled pulpit, lectern, prayer desk, benches and screen to tower room, all of c.1861; Limestone font has circular bowl narrowed to octagonal base, and cover probably of c.1861: pointed stoup next to south door: late C19 stained glass windows; 4-bay C17 common rafter roof. Arch-braced collars to roof of porch. Buildings of England, Berkshire, p.l66.

Listing NGR: SU3737884919

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 166

National Grid Reference: SU 37378 84919

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 08:05:22.