List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1253811

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityNorton Sub Hamdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Oct-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437126

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4715 NORTON SUB HAMDON CP CHURCH LANE (End) 9/184 Church of St. Mary the Virgin (formerly listed as Church of St. Mary) 19.4.61 GV I Anglican parish church. C13 origins, but rebuilt c1500-1510; some restoration by Henry Wilson 1894 and 1904. Ham stone ashlar; stone slate roof between stepped coped gables having cross finials, behind parapets. Four-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 4-bay nave and 5-bay aisles, flanking chancel at east end, with west tower and south porch; the roof continuous over nave and aisles. Chancel has double plinth, low plain parapet with string and moulded coping, angled corner buttresses: east window 4-light sub- arcuated tracery with traceried transome in hollowed arched recess, square- stop label; small 3-light windows to match in east bay each side, and on south side a near-triangular arched moulded doorway with carved spandrils under arched label. North aisle has double plinth, slightly higher, with string and battlemented parapets; angled corner and bay buttresses; east window 3-light matching that of chancel nearby; the 5 side windows all 4- light sub-arcuated tracery in hollowed arched recesses with labels, that to bay 4 having higher cill to accommodate a moulded 4-centre arched doorway with arched label, now blocked; west end largely obscured by the tower. South aisle to match, but with added south porch, possibly later C16 or even C18: angled corner buttresses, stone slab roof over internal rib vault; outer pointed arch with full internal order but stilted segmental pointed outer order, and above a sundial dated 1711; inner arch C16 style moulded pointed. Tower, damaged by lightning and fire 1894, immediately restored: 5 stages, with double plinth, offset corner buttresses, dividing strings, battlemented parapet with pairs corner pinnacles extended from buttresses, and central paired pinnacles corbelled off gargoyles; lowest stage has moulded pointed arched west doorway in rectangular recess, with carved spandrils and flanking diagonally set pilasters, the doors restored and coloured 1981; above a panel of 5 quatrefoils; west window occupies stage 2 and half of stage 3, a 4-light to match east end, stages 1, 2 and 3 plain on sides except for canopied statue niches set on the south side strings; to head of stage 3, cutting into stage 4, small rectangular windows in recesses to north and south; to all faces of upper stage 4 and stage 5, tall 2-light traceried and transomed windows in hollowed recesses, the stone frets distinctly Art Nouveau: hexagonal plan full-height stair turret on north east corner. Inside, apparently little alteration other than stripping of plaster and making good damage after partial fall of tower: chancel virtually continuous with nave, with elliptical vault ceiling having moulded ribs to plaster panels, carved bosses and small angel corbels: aisles have angled timber panelled roofs; chancel arch simple attached full-height sideshaft and arch following profile of ceiling; panelled tower arch also almost full height; side arcades 4-shaft and hollow columned, again unusually high, but the arches off chancel lower. East wall of chancel has 2 canopied niches, and a cusped ogee-arched piscina; late C19 3-panel stone reredos, C20 altar table and rails; choir stalls late C19, as are low ironwork open chancel screen and traceried stone screens to aisles; 1894 Art Nouveau screen across tower, by Wilson, who designed the magnificent but widly inappropriate alabaster font, a circular tub with twist fluting set on square base with large fish to each corner, lid with small tabernacle, in 1904; earlier plain octagonal font by south aisle screen: pews all C19. Three memorial brasses in tower to Benjamin Collins, died 1662, Henry Burchall died 1770, and Elizabeth Burchell, died 1805. Stained glass includes early C16 fragments in tracery; East window by Wailes, 1861, north chancel window by A.K Nicholson 1922, East window south chapel by Wilson 1904, and Art-Nouveau style leading to west window. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West somerset, 1958; Leaflet in church, Unpublished and undated; frisk C, Norton sub Hamdon, 1898).

Listing NGR: ST4705815966

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Trask, C - Title: Norton sub Hamdon - Date: 1898
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 47060 15956

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 04:54:51.