List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARYLANDS

List entry Number: 1253713

Location

MARYLANDS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyWaverleyDistrict AuthorityEwhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-May-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437008

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 04 SE EWHURST HURTWOOD

1887-/2/10003 Marylands

II*

House. Designed by Oliver Hill and built between 1929-31 for Mr M C Warner in an inventive mixture of Spanish style with Lutyens influence. The architect successfully deflected the client from his Tudor preference which Oliver Hill thought was completely wrong for the site. Built of sandstone with Swedish green pantiled roof. Comprises U-shaped block of 2 storeys facing south-west to take full advantage of the spectacular views, with north-east side incorporating tall battered square tower and with curved service wing of one storey and attics attached to the north by an archway. The two wings are linked by a stone terrace incorporating a Moorish curved pool. Irregular fenestration with carefully designed but disparate glazing. Central block of south-west or garden front has 4 windows to first floor, including three 4 or 5 light casments and left side tripartite window with metal glazing bars in the form of stylized hooked branches. Ground floor windows are round-headed with glazing bars and a round-headed door with massive hinges. Projecting right hand wing has open loggia on ground floor with round headed arches and former nursery wing on first floor with open sleeping platform of three bays to the south. Windows overlooking the view were purposely left unglazed, windows facing south-east are four-light casements. Projecting left hand wing has sleeping platform at south of first floor with metal balcony to the principal bedroom. Music room on ground floor has round-headed tall windows, some with glazing bars, some without and metal balcony to south. North-west side has battered external chimneystack and to north is a battered square tower of 4 storeys, including library on first floor with modified Venetian window, round-headed windows to second floor with idiosyncratic diagonal glazing bars and small casements to tower room. Entrance front to north-east has 3 and 4 light casements. Round-headed doorcase. Curved former service wing of one storey and attics has casement windows and hipped dormers to the rear. The interior is remarkably complete. The music room has a sandstone fireplace with herringbone brick infill and brick curved hood, dais at one end, oak hatch with chevron pattern to library, round-headed door with chevron pattern to hall and smaller plank door to library up three steps with tiled risers and specially designed curved curtain rails which open outwards. Beamed ceiling supported on stone corbels. Staircase hall has minstrels' gallery, two round-headed arches with battered column, circular herringbone brick feature to floor, circular stone steps with tiled risers, stone arches to minstrels gallery, partly open wooden staircase and wheel light fitting. Library has corner stone fireplace. Dining room is barrel-vaulted and has a Tudor arched fireplace with herringbone brick infill and serving hatch with chevron pattern which folds into four to kitchen. Original light fittings. Service staircase has stick balusters and square newel posts. Servants' bells survive. First floor corridor has copper light fittings. Several bedrooms have original fireplaces, some with tiled surrounds and cupboards. Open tread staircase to tower room and lattice design to balustrade. During the Second World War the house was let to Tatsumi, the Japanese Military Attache and Sikorsky, the Polish prime minister. See 'Country Life' October 24 1931, 'The Builder' January 24 1928, 'The Ideal Home' June 1938, BOE Surrey p227.



Listing NGR: TQ0829242008

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 24 January - Date: 1928 - Journal Title: The Builder
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 24 October - Date: 1931 - Journal Title: Country Life
  3. Article  Reference - Title: June - Date: 1938 - Journal Title: Ideal Home
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Nairn, I and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Surrey - Date: 1982 - Page References: 227

National Grid Reference: TQ 08292 42008

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 03:04:07.