List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1253451

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, TOWN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityWestborough and Dry Doddington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Aug-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436660

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 84 SE WESTBOROUGH & DRY DODDINGTON TOWN STREET (east side)

5/98 The Old Rectory (Formerly listed as Westborough Rectory)

19.2.52 II*

Rectory, now house. C16, C17, c1730. Red brick with ashlar dressings, blue lias with ashlar bands. Hipped slate roofs with 4 stacks over main C18 range. C16 and C17 blue lias wing to east is in the process of restoration and is at present roofless. Western range has 2 storey, 5 bay front with a projecting central bay topped by modillioned pediment. Brick plinth with ashlar dressings, 1st floor ashlar band and quoins. 6 steps lead up to central doorway with plain doorcase and C19 ¾ glazed door. Doorway flanked by 2 windows on each side with 5 above, all with splayed brick lintels and raised ashlar keystones and glazing bar sashes. 2 storey north front plus attic. 5 bays with the 2 outer bays projecting far forward with gables. Central doorway with moulded doorcase, bracketed hood and 6 panelled door, flanked by single glazing bar sashes with 2 more above with decorated eaves and a central doormer above with casements and steep pitched gable. The gabled cross wings have first floor and second floor bands with a glazing bar sash on each floor and single casements in the coped gables with kneelers. Interior contains good 3 flight return staircase of c.1730 with 3 slim balusters to the tread, one columnar, 2 twisted, all with knops, carved tread ends, ionic newels and moulded hand rail. Above an ornate panelled plaster ceiling and the flanking rooms have C18 panelling.

Listing NGR: SK8506544466

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 85065 44466

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 01:28:32.