List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1253449

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityWestborough and Dry Doddington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436657

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 84 NW WESTBOROUGH & DRY DODDINGTON MAIN STREET (west side)

2/95 Church of St. James

20.9.66 II*

Parish Church now church. Early C12, late C13, early C14, 1876-7. Limestone ashlar, blue lias, plain tiled roofs, west tower and spire, nave with north and south aisles, rectangular chancel. Early C14 tower of coursed rubble with ashlar quoins and of 2 stages. Small rectangular light in west front and squat buttresses in north east and south east corners. String course below bell openings on all 4 sides, each of 2 ogee cusped lights with quatrefoil above. Squat broach spire with 4 large lucarnces alternating directions with 4 very small ones above. Tower and spire lean towards the west. Nave exterior walls of 1876-7. The northside of coursed rubble with single lancet in west wall. Central blocked rectangular doorway with ashlar quoins. Single pointed window of 2 lights and quatrefoil, squat north facing buttress and diagonal eastern buttress. Eastern lancet with hood mould. Stone coped nave gable with finial. Chancel of 1876-7 with low plinth with ashlar dressings. East front flanked by large, squat buttresses. String course runs beneath a window of 3 cusped lights with tracery above, hood mould and foliated label stops. Chancel gable with coping and finial. South side of chancel has 2 rectangular windows, that to the east of 3 cusped lights with continuous mullions and 4 centred hood mould, to the west, a small, 2 light window with 4 centred hood mould. East face of south aisle has plinth and plain rectangular window. South aisle has a group of 3 cusped and pointed lights to east of early C12 doorway with chevroned round headed arch and jambs, hood mould, and mask head label stops. To the west are a pair of cusped, pointed lights of 1876-7. Nave interior has 4 late C13 bays with plainly moulded pointed arches and octagonal piers and responds. The south arcade capitals have beaded decoration. Arcades have hood moulds and foliated label stops. In east wall of north aisle is C12 fragment of chevron. Pointed chancel arch of 1876-7 with very ornate corbels with foliage end birds. Late C19 and early C20 pews, pulpit and font.

Listing NGR: SK8498146610

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 84981 46610

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 01:35:22.