List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1253411

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityWelby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436464

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 93 NE WELBY CHURCH LANE 20-9-66 2/68 Church of St.Bartholomew

I

Parish Church; C13, C14, C15, C16, restored 1873 by J. H. Hakewill; ashlar and coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; felt and slate roofs. Western tower, nave and clerestorey, north aisle, chancel, vestry. The C13 unbuttressed tower is in limestone rubble with quoins; it has a plinth with splay and roll moulding, a tall first stage and short 2nd stage with plain square string course. The south side has a C13 small lancet set high up in the 1st stage, the west window is a taller lancet with hood mould. All faces have C14 2 light belfry openings in 2nd stage. The octagonal shallow broached spire terminates in a 4 sided point. There are 2 sets of alternating lucarnes. The tower is much narrower than the nave and leaves the plain ashlar nave west wall exposed. The line of the original nave and aisle roof pitch can be seen. The west aisle window is a C15 2 light under a triangular head with hood mould. The north side has 4 bays marked by 5 stepped buttresses. It has a plain plinth and parapet with saddleback coping behind which is a felted roof drained by 3 gargoyles. The north doorway, now blocked, is a plain 4 centre arch, it is flanked by to the west a 3 light C15 shallow triangular headed window with reticulated tracery and to the east by 2 similar windows all with hood mould. The north clerestorey has a panelled parapet with shields in quatrefoils and saddleback coping. There are 4 pinnacle bases and 4 gargoyles, 2 defaced. The nave roof is felted, but not visible. There are six 3 cusped light C16 windows with 4 centre heads under continuous hood moulds. At each end are plain buttresses. The vestry, with slate roof, built in 1873, has in its west end a reset C15 window with reticulated tracery. The ashlar chancel, rebuilt in 1873, has shaped kneelers and a cross to the stone coped gable. At the east end are 3 stepped C19 lancets. On the south side are 3 single lancets a machine moulded corbel table and several reused C12 sculptured stones. The south east corner of the nave is built out in a polygonal shape to house the rood stair; the nave is in ashlar and forms a C16 almost symmetrically balanced composition in 3 main bays, the central one housing the porch. There is a plinth, string course and parapet decorated with frieze as north clerestorey. The frieze is carried round the west end of the nave and a large human head and cross mark the ridge. The clerestorey is divided into 6 bays by flat pilasters that rise from the string course to the parapet where they are panelled and then surmounted by crocketed pinnacles. At the west end is a full height stepped buttress with gargoyle. The tall porch has splayed corner buttresses, a steeply pointed gable enriched with a parapet decorated with shields in quatrefoils set square in a stepped formation. The interstices are filled with trefoils. At the ridge is a niche supported on a pair of shield bearing angels. It has a richly decorated canopy with crocketed pinnacle. The end pinnacles are supported on winged scaly creatures. The opening is a curved pointed arch with moulded reveals and has hood mould with human mask stops. The porch is flanked by single 4 light windows with 4 centre heads and panel tracery. The clerestorey has 6 lights as north side, which sit on the string course. The south doorway Has a 4 centre arch head and 5 panelled traceried C16 door. The interior is all in ashlar except for the west wall of the nave and north wall of the aisle, which are exposed rubble. The north arcade is 4 bays with C15 octagonal piers and cyma moulded and chamfered arches. The capitals are stepped and moulded. The west respond is C13 and circular. The tower arch is a small C13 opening. In the west wall can be seen the earlier steep pitch of the nave roof and at high level above the pitch line are 2 reset stones, one a piece of Anglo Saxon interlace. There is one statue bracket on the north side of the aisle. The upper and lower rood stair doors survive. The roof is C17, built off large corbels of human heads and shields. The chancel arch end chancel are all 1673. Fittings: The rood screen is early C16 and of 6 panels with 2 over the door. It has ogee decoration with panel tracery above using roses in its design. There is a curved gilded canopy, topped by 4 angels. The screen was extensively restored in 1948. The bench ends to the nave are C15 poppyhead type. The pulpit and brass eagle lectern are C19 and the Gothic oak reredos dates from 1887. The C17 font is octagonal and decorated with shields and oak leaves. The south aisle windows have fragments of C15 glass. Monuments; In the porch is a C14 stone figure of a woman in a coffin with a quatrefoil head. At her feet is a small swathed figure of a baby. Above the door is a timber board dated 1824 to the Dodwell Charity.

Listing NGR: SK9754138186

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 97540 38184

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 01:23:07.