List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1253292

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityWelby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436463

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 93 NE WELBY CHURCH LANE

2/67 The Old Rectory

II

Former Rectory, now House; 1834 by Cornelius Sherborne of Grantham, with C20 alterations. Ashlar with stone coped gables and kneelers to south side, slate roof, stone ridge stack and pair of diagonally set stone stacks on project- ing stack corbelled out from front wall at 1st floor level. Parallel range with single storey wing on north aide. 2 storey with plinth and 1st floor band. Entrance front of 3 bays with central "Gothick" traceried door and adjacent single light under one hood mould, flanked by to left single and to right double lights under hood moulds, in Tudor style with glazing bar case- ments. Above a central 2 light window with similar single light window to left, all as ground floor. To right corbelled chimney and just below that a datestone "1834" and an inscription around a coat of arms recording its construction by C. B. Oatley, Rector. The south front in matching styles has similar single and 2 light windows and a canted bay window. The interior has shutters and plain moulded cornices with simple decorative ceiling corner details; one contemporary 'Tudor' stone fireplace with leafy spandrels and a fine swept staircase with plain balusters. From information supplied by the owner a porch was removed and the single storey wing reduced to that height from 2 storeys by the Church Commissioners' Architect in the 1950s.

Listing NGR: SK9753838101

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 97538 38101

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 06:38:49.