List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GREAT HUMBY CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1253290

Location

GREAT HUMBY CHAPEL, GREAT HUMBY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityRopsley and Humby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436460

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 03 SW ROPSLEY & HUMBY GREAT HUMBY Humby 6/64 Great Humby Chapel

20-9-66

II*

Chapel of Ease to Old Somerby and private chapel to the now demolished Great Humby Hall. Originally built c.1680's but rebuilt 1754 and with minor alterations in 1876 and 1980. Ashlar with slate roof and stone coped gables. Single cell nave chapel with western bell cote. Plinth. South side has plain door with very low 4 centre arch with moulded surround and raised keystone, two 3-light tall cavetto moulded mullioned windows. North and East sides each have a single similar window. The bell turret has stone coped gable with finial and timber louvres to bell chamber. Interior refitted in 1876 with pews and lectern. C14 octagonal font with panels of traceried design. In the 1980 restoration the ceiling was removed and roof exposed. A faculty was granted in 1754 for the chapel to be completely rebuilt by Hotchkin, exactly as it was but reduced in size from 41 x 17 feet to 30 x 15 feet.

Source: Basil Clarke: xxx/49

Listing NGR: TF0071032338

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 00710 32338

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:20:05.