List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1253207

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityLondonthorpe and Harrowby Without

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436359

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 93 NE LONDONTHORPE & HARROWBY CHURCH LANE WITHOUT Londonthorpe 2/33 Church of St. John the 20-9-66 Baptist

G.V. II*

Parish Church; C13, C14, C15, with C19 alterations and additions. Coursed rubble limestone and ashlar with plain tile and lead roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestorey, 2 aisles, chancel, southern porch, vestry. C13 coursed rubble tower in 2 stages with corner buttresses. C13 single light west window, C13 belfry openings to all faces. Spire replaced in C19 with saddle back plain tile roof. Ashlar north aisle rebuilt C19, vestry dated 1852. C19 chancel same height and width as nave. 3 light east chancel window, south chancel windows two 2-light with 3 light above. C15 south aisle; battle- mented and richly pinnacled at buttresses with large grotesque gargoyles draining lead roof. East, west and 2 south aisle windows all C15, 2 light with 4 centre arches under hood moulds, with decorated label stops. Clerestorey, north and south, C15 with moulded parapet concealing lead roof. Four 3-light windows under continuous hood mould. South porch battlemented and pinnacled with central cross, over steeply pointed C15 doorway with moulded imposts. South door has C15 small niche over. Stone side benches to porch. Interior C13 3 bay south arcade with double chamfered arches with clustered piers, 4 keeled and stiff leaf capitals. 3 bay north arcade c.1300 with double chamfered arches and plainer moulded capitals. Tower arch as north aisle but with triple chamfer. Evidence of C13 roof pitch on west wall. C19 chancel arch. C14 ogee arch recessed into north aisle contains stone effigy of recumbent knight. Sculpture fragments of C13 stone coffin lid with foliated cross and part of wheelhead cross. C15 octagonal font with quatre- foils containing shields on each face. Chancel screen has partial medieval frame, all decoration C19. C19 plain wooden pulpit. C17 altar rail with balusters.

Listing NGR: SK9532938031

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 95329 38031

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 09:47:40.