List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1253206

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, INGOLDSBY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityLenton Keisby and Osgodby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436357

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 03 SW LENTON, KEISBY & OSGODBY INGOLDSBY ROAD Lenton 6/31 Church of St. Peter 20-9-66 I

Parish Church; C13, C14, C15, restored in 1879 by James Fowler of Louth. Ashlar, coursed limestone rubble, lead and slate roof. Western tower, nave, with clerestorey, south aisle and porch, chancel. The ashlar C14 tower has 3 stages with triple moulded plinth and 2 string courses with stepped corner buttresses. The west side has a 2 light C14 window with curvilinear tracery, hood mould and head stops in the 1st stage. The 2nd stage has an empty niche with crocketed and finial top. The south side is blank in the first 2 stages, but has large square painted sundial in red surround with gold numerals in the 2nd stage. All faces have C14 2 light with reticulated tracery belfry openings. The octagonal broach spire sits on a decorated corbel table and has 3 tiers of alternating lucarnes. The north side of the nave and blank clerestorey is in coursed limestone rubble on its upper part and has a slate roof with decorated ridge tiles, and a stone coped gable with cross fleury to ridge. It is in 2 bays marked by 3 stepped buttresses and has: a double moulded plinth. There is a blocked north door, and two 3-light C15 windows with panel tracery and hood moulds. The north side of the chancel has similar roof and gable to the nave. It has a single 2 light C15 window with cusped tracery and 4 centre head and a blocked 4 centre window. The east window sits on a splayed string course, and is 3 light C15 with triangular head, and hood mould. The south side has an off centre small priets door with 4 centre head flanked by single C15 2 light windows with 4 centre heads. The south aisle has a lead roof. The west window is C14 2 light with reticulated tracery. The south face has moulded plinth and cornice and two 2-light C14 windows with recut reticulated tracery, flat heads and hood moulds. The ashlar south porch has slate roof and stone coped gable with cross fleury. The plinth is panelled with quatrefoils below a splayed roll moulding. The arch is recut and has 14 engaged nook shafts, and hood moulds with human mask labels. Inside the porch is a reset C14 niche with ogee head, small vault and pinnacles. Below is an inscription regarding a legacy to Mary, widow of Edward Parnham, dated 1701. The south doorway has a plain moulded surround, and could be C13. The western south aisle window is C13 lancet. The clerestorey has 3 C15 2 light windows with reticulated tracery under a continuous hood mould. Interior; The 3 bay south arcade is C13 with double chamfered pointed arches and 2 octagonal piers; one with a stiff leaf capital. The east respond is also stiff leaf and the west respond sits on a corbel head. The tower arch is a C14 small opening and the tower floor is supported on corbels which are reused C13 nook shaft capitals The C14 chancel arch has octagonal responds. In the south aisle is a cusped piscina containing a statue, said to be Roman. At the east end are 2 plain statue brackets. In the north nave wall are blocked entrances, upper and lower, to the rood stairs. The nave and chancel roof, pews, pulpit, lectern and Minton tiled floor date from the 1879 restoration. C15 octagonal font with shields in pointed quatrefoils. Monuments; In the chancel is a tomb to Bartholomew Armyne of Osgodby d.1605. An altar table on 6 stubby Ionic piers decorated with armorial elements with a frieze of heraldic shields below. On the table 3 fluted composite columns with leafy bases, supporting a cornice then smaller columns supporting a full entablature with 2 triangular pediments. Four inscribed panels, set between the main columns, are bordered with egg and dart. A stone tablet eared and shouldered, with deaths head mask in circle on top, to Jane Chaworth d.1606. Plain slate tablet to Mary Blomer d.1759. Plain marble tablet with pediment to Franict3 Hetherington d.1768.

Listing NGR: TF0258730351

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 02588 30351

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 04:06:37.