List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HILLYFIELDS SIXTH FORM CENTRE

List entry Number: 1252990

Location

HILLYFIELDS SIXTH FORM CENTRE, EASTERN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityLewishamLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Apr-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203484

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

BROCKLEY EASTERN ROAD TQ 3775 779-/13/10001 Hillyfields Sixth Form centre (formerly Brockley county School)

11*

School. 3 builds. North part of 1884-5 by Charles Evans as the West Kent Grammar School, extended southwards by the London County Council for the Brockley County Secondary School in 1918-14 and 1921. North part of 1884-5 asymmetrical in Jacobean style. Red brick with stone dressings, tiled roof and brick chimneystacks. 2 storeys; 5 windows. End gables with kneelers, each having double casement window to each floor under brick relieving arches. Central wooden octagonal cupola with lead roof and iron weathervane. Parapet. Left bay has casement window to each floor, Central bay has stepped casement to ground floor in round-headed arch and right side has 2-storey canted bay with balustraded parapet and pedimented entrance with half columns. Large southward extensions to the south by the LCC in 1913-14 and 1921. These include an assembly hall to the east, 1 storey red brick with gable to east with large traceried window, 2 hipped dormers and 2 smaller traceried windows to the side elevations. Internally the front vestibule has some indifferent quality murals with historical subjects by Geoffrey Cook, David Hitchcock and R Smith and there is a staircase of 1913-14 of iron railings with mahagony handrail and blue, tiled dado. The exceptional feature of the building is the series of mural paintings carried out in the Assembly Hall between the years 1933 and 1936 by 4 painters connected with the Royal College of Art; Charles Mahoney, Evelyn Dunbar, Mildred Eldridge and Violet Martin. The hall is a Perpendicular style building of 5 bays with hammer beam roof and gallery to east, with 5 wall panels, a mural to the gallery front and murals under the gallery. The north side west panel depicts "Fortune and the Boy at the Well" by Charles Mahoney, the north side east panel depicts "The Country Girl and the Milk Pail" by Evelyn Dunbar, the south side east panel is entitled "The Bird Catcher and the Skylark" by Mildred Eldridge (dated 1934) and the south side west panel "The King and 2 Shepherds" by Violet Martin. The gallery front has murals by Evelyn Dunbar depicting the Hilly Fields. There are allegorical figures to left and right, one holding a plan of the school, the other a plan of Hilly Fields. Boys in contemporary dress return from school along the railings entwined with plants. Above are 2 figures of boys, one in rugby clothes, the other as a scholar. The wider gallery spandrels and lunettes are mainly by Evelyn Dunbar but 3 panels are by Charles Mahoney, mostly from Aesop's "Fables". The paintings belong to the Romantic and Narrative School of English painting influenced by the Pre-Raphaelites. The best known painters of this group were Stanley Spencer and Eric Ravilious. These murals are considered some of the most important achievements of C20 mural painting. Such murals are rare, including these, Whistler's Tate Gallery Refreshment Room murals of 1926, murals at Morley College, Lambeth of 1929 by Edward Bawden, Eric Ravilious and Charles Mahoney (some destroyed by bomb damage) and murals in the village hall at Wood Green Hampshire by Robert Baker and Edward Payne. The high perspective viewpoint of the hall panels, raised 6 feet off the ground, is of particular interest. Also, no work of comparable scale by Evelyn Dunbar exists; Charles Mahoney's work at Brockley is better than his murals in the Lady Chapel of Campion Hall and Mildred Eldridge painted only one other public work.

The panel "Fortune and the Boy at the Well" has featured in an exhibition at the Barbican, "The Last Romantics" in 1989.

[See Alan Power's article on the Brockley murals in "Country Life" 30 April 1987].

This building is listed solely because of the high quality and rarity of the mural paintings carried out between 1933 and 1936.

Listing NGR: TQ3723475213

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 30 April - Date: 1987 - Journal Title: Country Life

National Grid Reference: TQ 37234 75213

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 06:15:38.