List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GREAT HOUSE FARMHOUSE AND FLANKING WALLS

List entry Number: 1252915

Location

GREAT HOUSE FARMHOUSE AND FLANKING WALLS, WELLS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityWedmore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436027

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST44NE WEDMORE CP WELLS ROAD (South side) Theale 11/234 Great House Farmhouse and flanking walls

9.2.61

GV II*

Farmhouse, Dated "WB 1670" on 2 small metal ridge pennants; late C18 and late C19 alterations. Coursed and squared rubble, weathered string at first floor level, coved plaster and dressed stone eaves cornice, hipped slate roof, 2 C20 brick stacks. Bold symmetrical frontage. Two storeys and attic, 5 bays; tall 2-light moulded aullioned and transoned windows, each light with a later casement with glazing bars, some restored, each window to ground floor with a section of brickwork above it. Central door opening, moulded and stopped surround, ribbed and studded door. Left return in conforming style, except centre first floor window with C17 leaded lights; again a central door opening in a moulded and stopped surround; each door opening with a slated pentice on 2 wooden columns. Many C17 interior features; very fine well staircase rising to the attic, moulded handrail, pierced baluster panels with carved serpents, newel posts with elaborate pendants and finials; on the stairs two C17 oil paintings, one a symbolic religious scene in the Flemish style, The other a Roman head; many C17 and C18 doors and architraves, particularly that to left ground floor room repeating the motifs of the staircase on its semi-circular head; dog gate to stairs, again with elaboratate carving, one gate missing at time of resurvey (April 1984); fireplaces to ground and first floor in moulded and stopped stone surrounds with 4-centred heads, some with moulded cornice shelves; paired window shutters to the majority of ground floor windows. Section of rubble wall to each side of frontage, each with a circular opening in a dressed stone surround. (N Pevsner, Buildings of England, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4538746449

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 45387 46449

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Aug-2014 at 05:30:40.