List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ELISABETH

List entry Number: 1252676

Location

CHURCH OF ST ELISABETH, VICTORIA DRIVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East SussexEastbourneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Feb-1994

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Aug-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 293633

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASTBOURNE VICTORIA DRIVE TQ5800 (east side) 11/10009 Church of St Elizabeth U shall be amended thus: TQ5800 EASTBOURNE VICTORIA DRIVE (east side) 11/10009 Church of St Elisabeth

II

Parish church. Foundation stone laid in 1935, architects D Stonham and Son and A R G Fenning. Built of red brick in English bond with Clipsham stone dressings and tiled roof. Floor and roof trusses are in pre-cast suspended reinforced concrete and the pitched roofs have light steel trusses and timber joists. Wide nave with narrow aisles and choir and chancel of equal height. East end has Lady Chapel to east of north transept which has an organ loft over and south transept has library over and attached bellcote. In addition to the west door are NW and SW porches to the narthex, which contains the baptistery and north and south porches at east end of the nave. Tall west front with gabled parapet and almost full-height tapering brick buttresses. West window is a traceried lancet with trefoil heads. Arched west door flanked by side lancets and gabled parapet. Aisles have 3 tall lancets with traceried windows divided by buttresses and narrow aisle with 2 triple casements and gabled porches. North transept has gable to north and mullioned windows. South transept similar but with bellcote. Chancel has 2 traceried windows. East end is blank except for triple mullioned window to former basement classroom. Two storey flat-roofed porches to NE and SE. Interior has arcade with Clipsham stone arches, octagonal Clipsham stone font and 2 Clipsham stone pulpits. Ribbed ceiling and unusual polygonal-shaped lights suspended from brackets. Transepts have arched openings at tint floor level. Metal screen to Lady Chapel. Light oak pews to nave and choir. Travertine marble floor to chancel. Wrought iron altar rail. Around the sanctuary is a sequence of fixed painted panels depicting scenes such as the Annunciation and the Batpism of Christ, in a pure Italian quatrocento style. They are signed E. W. Tristram, 1938. (Tristram was the leading authority on English Medieval wall paintings and their conservation.) In a basement room there survives an important painted mural sequence, depicting the Pilgrim's Progress in a free expression style by Hans Feibusch, 1944. These murals are of special historic interest. . . . [See "Architects' Journal" April 4, 1940.]

------------------------------------

EASTBOURNE VICTORIA DRIVE TQ5800 (east side) 11/10009 Church of St Elizabeth

II

Parish church. Foundation stone laid in 1935, architects D Stonham and Son and A R G Fenning. Built of red brick in English bond with Clipsham stone dressings and tiled roof Floor and roof trusses are in pre-cast suspended reinforced concrete and the pitched roofs have light steel trusses and timber joists. Wide nave with narrow aisles and choir and chancel of equal height. East end has Lady Chapel to east of north transept which has an organ loft over and south transept has library over and attached bellcote. In addition to the west door are NW and SW porches to the narthex, which contains the baptistery and north and south porches at east end of the nave. Tall west front with gabled parapet and almost full-height tapering brick buttresses. West window is a traceried lancet with trefoil heads. Arched west door flanked by side lancets and gabled parapet. Aisles have 3 tall lancets with traceried windows divided by buttresses and narrow aisle with 2 triple casements and gabled porches. North transept has gable to north and mullioned windows. South transept similar but with bellcote. Chancel has 2 traceried windows. East end is blank except for triple mullioned window to former basement classroom. Two storey flat-roofed porches to NE and SE. Interior has arcade with Clipsham stone arches, octagonal Clipsham stone font and 2 Clipsham stone pulpits. Ribbed ceiling and unusual polygonal-shaped lights suspended from brackets. Transepts have arched openings at first floor level. Metal screen to Lady Chapel. Light oak pews to nave and choir. Travertine marble floor to chancel. Wrought iron altar rail and murals of traditional type by Hans Feibusch.

[See "Architects'Journal" April 4, 1940.]

Listing NGR: TQ5906400597

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 4 April - Date: 1940 - Journal Title: Architects Journal

National Grid Reference: TQ 59064 00597

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 01:45:30.