List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE HERMITAGE, MANOR GARDENS

List entry Number: 1252675

Location

THE HERMITAGE, MANOR GARDENS, BOROUGH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East SussexEastbourneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 293631

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:

TV 59 NE; TV 5998 9926 EASTBOURNE BOROUGH LANE 12/115 (east side, off)

The Hermitage, Manor Gardens II

Gazebo to Manor House (qv). Late C18. Rendered brick (now pebble-dashed); thatched roof. Octagonal symmetrical comparison in Gothic style. Single-storey. Brick plinth from which there rise, on each of the 5 front bays, ogee-arched wooden architraves with crescent finials and flanking quatrefoil panels. 2 stone steps up to doorway (door removed), the architrave having pilasters with strings and plain capitals. The openings to the 2 flanking bays on each side have panelled bases and bottom-hinged shutters (removed from left-hand bays) which conceal ogee-headed sashes with decorative glazing bars, the glazing bars mostly removed. The 3 rear bays each have a bow with semi-conical thatched roof (thatch mostly removed). Wooden eaves cornice. Roof surmounted by spiked and petalled, swept, finial. Interior: board lining with plinth, dado rail and cornice; an ogee-arched architrave to each side, the 3 rear sides with alcoves; at top of each side a moulded bush garland descends from ribband and drapes over floral medallions. In state of dereliction at time of inspection. The gazebo was built either for the Rev H Lushington who built Manor House shortly before 1777, or for C Gilbert who purchased the house in 1792. A colour-wash drawing of the gazebo was made by T Poppleton during the first decade of the C19.

Listing NGR: TV5998699264

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TV 59986 99264

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 03:02:05.