List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1252482

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentSevenoaksDistrict AuthorityChiddingstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357047

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHIDDINGSTONE

771/50/232 CHIDDINGSTONE CAUSEWAY 10-SEP-54 CHURCH OF ST LUKE

II* Parish Church. 1897-98 to the designs of John Francis Bentley. The style is Free-Gothic in a Decorated manner.

MATERIALS: fine-jointed Bath stone ashlar with tiled roofs.

PLAN: unaisled church of nave, chancel, north-west porch, north tower with north-east chapel alongside; south-east organ chamber. EXTERIOR: the east and west windows (derived from Norman Shaw's Latimer Road Church) express the interior curve of the wagon roofs and are flanked by buttresses; the east window has a wider hoodmould extending down to the buttresses. The north side of the church (the main elevation visible from the road) has a coped gabled porch with kneelers, a moulded doorway with engaged shafts, carved spandrels and a good quality carving of the symbol of St Luke in the gable. The stocky tower has an embattled parapet with pinnacles. The small windows below the belfry stage are asymmetrically placed. The asymmetrical south elevation has a single buttress, two matching 4-light square-headed windows with traceried heads and, to the west, a tall 2-light traceried window with transom in otherwise blind walling.

INTERIOR: the interior has a moulded chancel arch carried on well-carved stone corbels and impressive wagon roofs, the nave with plain ribs of unstained timber on a deep projecting wallplate and a slender moulded ridge; the chancel with moulded ribs and purlins and a brattished wallplate. Plain east wall with moulded string stepped down on either side of the altar (the intended reredos was not executed). Matching 2-bay arcades with octagonal piers and moulded stone arches to the organ chamber and north chapel. 1910 choirstalls with poppyhead finials. The chancel and sanctuary floor, designed by Bentley, is a mixture of Portland stone paving and tiles. He also designed the communion rails of brass and wrought iron. Nave walls have plain 2-tier dado, open backed benches with ends in the form of a truncated X; parquet floor. Timber drum pulpit designed by Bentley, with blind traceried panelling on a stone base. Extraordinary font, also designed by Bentley and executed by Farmer and Brindley. It stands on a Portland stone, cross-shaped, step and has an octagonal pink alabaster stem and deep octagonal, tulip-shaped, bowl of green-streaked Cippolini marble with a white marble rim. Dark 1906 German Expressionist east window by von Glehn showing the Crucifixion.

HISTORY: sited just outside the village of Chiddingstone Causeway, St Luke's was built in 1897-8 to a design by John Francis Bentley (1839-1902), the architect of Westminster Roman Catholic Cathedral. It replaced a temporary corrugated iron building erected c.1873 to accommodate the expanding population based on the development of the cricket bat and ball factory in the village. Pevsner notes that the church was paid for by the Hill family and John Singer Sargent, the portrait painter, recommended Bentley to them as architect. It is his only Protestant church. The Church Guide notes that a choir screen, tower clock and bells were planned by Bentley, but not executed.

SOURCES Newman, J, West Kent and the Weald, 1980 edn., 214-215 St Luke's Church, Chiddingstone Causeway: Brief Notes for Visitors, 2001. Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: entry on John Francis Bentley (1839-1902), architect. REASONS FOR DESIGNATION The Church of St Luke is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * An architecturally lively Gothic design by John Bentley, an important late-Victorian architect. * The exterior is enlivened with some eccentric asymmetrical features, and the high quality stonework and attention to architectural detail is typical of Bentley. * The interior, though more conservative, has an impressive wagon roof and some idiosyncratic touches such as the font.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 51695 46664

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 12:56:30.